‘A Day to Remember’ for Richmond Barracks
As part of the Richmond Barracks Project which will see the Barracks open as an event and exhibition centre in May 2016, a call for action for members of the public with memories or memorabilia is going out. People are asked to bring artifacts and family memorabilia connected to Richmond Barracks, St. Michael’s Christian Brothers School (CBS) and Keogh Square, to Dublin City Council’s Library Information Bus for recording. The bus will be parked at St. Michael’s Community Centre in Inchicore from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday 7th November.
Artifacts will be copied digitally and recorded on the day for inclusion in a People’s Archive. The memories and stories of the public will be recorded as part of an Oral History campaign all of which will form part of the Richmond Barracks exhibition centre.
“This day will be a great chance for people from near and far who have connections or a story to tell about Richmond Barracks, Keogh Square or St Michael’s CBS to meet up, share memories and memorabilia on the footprint of the barracks, in St. Michael’s Community Centre. We are building a digital archive, so we will be scanning and recording, some on the day, some later. We will keep nothing on the day.”
Richmond Barracks was built in 1810 and continued in use as a Military Barracks until 1924 when it was converted into social housing and renamed Keogh Square. Tenants lived at this location until 1969. St. Michael’s CBS operated on part of the site from 1898 to 2007. This unique site has been embedded in the community in Inchicore for over a hundred years and has a huge significance in our national history. We are asking people to help us rediscover the personal stories of this site by coming along on November 7th and sharing their experiences with us.
For further information contact:
Notes to the Editor:
The Libraries Bus will be parked outside St. Michael’s Community Centre which is located off Bulfin Road in Inchicore, just behind St. Michael’s Church.