Address: Blessington Street Basin, Dublin 7.
Category: Historic and Heritage Park
Enquiries: (01) 222 5278
- Water feature and fountain
- 5-a-side Pitch
- Basketball Court
- Floral Schemes
- Leisure Walks
Measuring 0.75 hectares and located in the heart of Dublin's north inner city, and within easy walking distance of O'Connell Street, the Basin has a long and varied history. Construction began around 1803 to provide a reservoir for the city water supply which until then was sourced from Lough Owel in Co. Westmeath. From the date of the completion of the Vartry Reservoir system in the 1860's Blessington Street Basin's water was then used exclusively to supply distilleries in Bow Street (Jamesons) and John's Lane (Powers) and this continued until 1970 and 1976 respectively.
The Basin was completely refurbished in 1993/94 with the help of Fas and financial contributions from the National Heritage Council and ALONE. Now this quiet haven in a bustling metropolis provides a secret garden for local residents and visitors alike.