Address: Merrion Square, Dublin 2.
Category: Georgian and other squares
Enquiries: (01)222 5278
- Band Performances
- Floral Schemes
- Leisure Walks
- River Pool Sea
The construction of the Georgian houses at Merrion Square began in 1762 and continued for 30 years. The earliest plan of the park shows a double line of trees around the perimeter which was later enclosed by railings in the early years of the 19th century. A 'Jardin Anglaise' approach was adopted for the layout of the park with contoured grass areas, informal tree clumps, sunken curved paths and perimeter planting.
Merrion Square soon became a fashionable address for the aristocracy and the professional classes. The park was purchased from the Pembroke Estate by the Roman Catholic Church in 1930 for 100,000 as a site for a cathedral. However, this project never materialised and in 1974 the then Archbishop, Dermot Ryan, transferred the 4.75 hectares (11.7 acres) to Dublin Corporation for use a public park.
Notable features of the park include many fine sculptures; the Rutland Memorial; a collection of old Dublin lamp posts; a central floral garden; heather garden and playground. What was once the preserve of local privileged keyholders is now a public park to match the best in Europe and a successful adaptation of a typical Georgian Square to modern intensive public usage.
Other Information: Statuary/Scripture