Dublin City Council uses cookies to improve the functionality of our website. To find out more about cookies, please see our privacy policy.
Normal text size Large text size High Contrast View Normal View

Bushy Park

Image of river that runs through Bushy Park

Address: Terenure, Dublin 6.
Phone: 01-4900320
Area: South Central
Category: Southside Neighbourhood parks
Enquiries: (01)222 5278

Bushy Park Masterplan Update

Dublin City Council Parks Department commissioned MosArt to prepare a Landscape Masterplan and Management & Development Plan to ‘identify management, maintenance, development and landscape design objectives’ for Bushy Park. The brief required a set of consolidated guidance documents to provide the direction for future design and management decisions relating to the Park. The project was divided into two stages with the first one being a combination of professional evaluation and public consultation. The second stage was the development of design and management objectives based on the findings of stage one.  

MosArt recently presented their Landscape Masterplan to the South Central Area Committee. Download the presentation.


  • Band Performances
  • Historical
  • Leisure Walks
  • Pavillion
  • Playground
  • River/Pool/Sea
  • Shelter
  • Sports Fields
  • Tennis
  • Wildlife

Part of an extensive open space network along the Dodder, Bushy Park extends to 20.5 hectares.  The park originated in 1700 when Arthur Bushe of Dangan, Co. Kilkenny, Secretary to the Revenue Commissioners, built the house known as "Bushes House" on a site of 4 hectares.  A John Hobson became owner in 1772 and changed the name to Bushy Park, possibly after the park in London of that name.  Purchased by Abraham Wilkinson in 1791 who added almost 40 hectares to the estate, he gave it as a dowry to his daughter Maria when she married Robert Shaw in 1796.  George Bernard Shaw was a distant relative, his grandfather being a nephew of Sir Robert Shaw (1st Bart).  The Shaws were connected with Bushy Park for the next 155 years until 1951 when they sold the estate to Dublin Corporation.

In 1953, the Corporation sold 8 hectares to the Sisters of Religious of Christian Education but later re-acquired 2 acres of woodland in 1993.  The park is noted for its woodland walks, ornamental ponds and beautiful Dodder Walk as well as catering for football, tennis boules, and children's play.  Dublin City’s first public skatepark was opened in 2006 in Bushy Park. It consists of a concrete bowl surrounded with typical street elements. The park is open to skateboarders, in-line skaters and B.M.X. bikes. 

Other information:

Kiosk, Nature Trail, Boules (Pentaque) Pitches

11 Tennis Courts managed in association with Dublin Parks Tennis League.


Bushy Park Native Tree Trail

The Native Tree Trail will help to introduce you to a selection of Ireland's Native Trees. There are 15 native tree signposts in Bushy Park. To find them you can navigate your way around the park using The Native Tree Trail Booklet.

For more information

Parks & Landscapes Services Division
Block 4, Ground Floor,
Civic Offices,
Fishamble Street
Dublin 2

Enquiries: (01) 222 5278