Phone: 8331859 or 8338898
Area: North Central
Category: Commemorative Park
Enquiries: 222 5278
- Band Performances
- Floral Schemes
- Golf/Pitch and Putt
- Leisure Walks
- Sports Fields
The brothers Arthur and Benjamin Lee Guinness built up an estate of nearly 123.75 hectares from 1835 onwards in the Clontarf/Raheny area and called the estate St. Anne's after the Holy Well of the same name on the lands. Sir Arthur Edward Guinness (Lord Ardilaun) was the person most responsible for expanding and developing the estate and gardens and planted evergreen (Holm) oaks and pines along the main avenue and estate boundaries.
Lord and Lady Ardilaun had no children and the estate passed to their nephew Bishop Plunkett in the 1920s. In 1937, he decided he could no longer maintain such a large estate and negotiations with the Corporation resulted in the house and estate being sold to the Corporation for approximately £55,000 in 1939.
Bishop Plunkett retained Sybil Hill (now St. Paul's College) as a private residence with 30 acres of parkland. In December 1943, the main residence of St. Anne's "The Mansion" was gutted by a fire and the ruins demolished in 1968. In the meantime, just over 200 acres of the estate were developed for public housing with the central most attractive portion comprising about 270 acres retained as parkland.
The elaborate Tudor redbrick Ardilaun stables survive, as do most of the follies. A structural survey of these follies was carried out in 2009 with a view to conservation/restoration & the creation of a ‘Follies Trail’, complete with interpretive signage.
In the Central Nurseries, located behind the Clocktower Gardens, over 600,000 seasonal bedding plants are produced annually for the city’s parks. The wooden planters to be seen on the Liffey Boardwalk and elsewhere throughout the city, along with the tiered floral planters, are also produced & maintained within the Nursery.
The park is intensively used by the public through its 35 playing pitches, 18 hard-surfaced tennis courts, 4 Boules courts and a par-3 golf course. playground, fitted out with suitable units to compliment the parkland setting, along with a picnic area, is located close to the Red Stables.
The ‘Nanekin’ river flows through the park from the Howth Rd to the ornamental pond, then to the sea. Woodland paths add to the charm of the park. The park also has a remote-controlled model car track, located off All Saints Road, on the Raheny side of the Park.
In 1975, St. Anne's Rose Garden was opened to the public. In 1980 it was given a Civic Award by Bord Failte and the Irish Town Planning Institute and since 1981 it has been a centre for International Rose Trials. here is an annual Rose Festival held in the Park on the 3rd weekend of July.
To celebrate Dublin’s Millennium year in 1988, the Parks Department in co-operation with the Tree Council of Ireland, initiated the Millennium Arboretum. Consisting of 16 acres located between the main avenue and St Anne’s housing estate, the arboretum is planted with over 1000 types of tees and was sponsored by 1000 participants.
Dogs are allowed off lead up to 11.00am each day & for the last hour before official Park Closing Time. At all other times, dogs must be kept on a leash. There is a dedicated ‘Dog Park’ beside the Model Car track where dogs may be let off lead at all other times.
More recently, improvements to the park include the refurbishment of the Red Stables, providing and Arts Centre, Restaurant & regular Farmers Market; New entrance gates and piers at the end of the Main Avenue; Resurfacing of over 15,000m2 of the path network; Re-landscaping of the Mount Prospect Ave/James Larkin Rd junction & ongoing boundary improvements.
Ongoing works to upgrade the existing Par 3 Golf Course to an 18 Hole Course are expected to be completed during 2010.
The walled garden, added to the estate by Bishop Plunkett, is being converted into Allotments for opening in 2010.
Click here for a map of St. Annes Park Other Information: Rose Garden, Gardens, Nature Trails, Follies, Woodland
Opening of St. Anne's Dog Park - 24th February 2013
Dublin City Council in association with the DSPCA are proud to announce the opening of the new St. Anne's Dog Park Raheny. Join us on Sunday February 24th from 1pm-3pm for the official opening. Fun for all the family! Admission is free.
For full details please click here.