Dublin City Library Public Libraries Reference Services are open to all. Registration is not required in order to access the following material:
- Directories - e.g. Telephone directories; Thom's Dublin and County Street Directory; The Irish Times Incredibly Indispensable Web Directory.
- Encyclopaedias - e.g. Social Science Encyclopaedia; Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Costume & Fashion; Photography Encyclopaedia; Cambridge Biographical Encyclopaedia; Encyclopaedia Britannica.
- Dictionaries - e.g. Language dictionaries; Dictionary of Irish Place Names; Dictionary of Irish Quotations; Dictionary of Irish Artists.
- Phone Books - National Directories in print and International Directories online, not in print format.
- Yearbooks - e.g. IPA Administration Yearbook and Diary; Statesman's Yearbook; Whitaker's Almanac.
- Newspapers, magazines and journals - e.g. Irish Independent, Irish Times, Evening Herald.
View the complete list of newspapers, magazines and journals held in Dublin City Libraries below.
Note: Titles held can change. It is advisable to check with library in advance to ensure title/issue sought is available. Not all locations retain back issues. Libraries receiving the Dublin Historical Record and Consumer Choice and Which keep back copies for reference only.
Our guide to online resources may assist you in finding useful information on the Internet.
Access the full text version of Encyclopaedia Britannica courtesy of Dublin City Public Libraries! From your home all you need is your Dublin City Public Libraries' borrower number. From any of the many public access PCs in our branch libraries, not even that!
||For ages 18+
||For ages 12 - 18
||For ages 5 - 11
Access the following databases online and free of charge at all branches of Dublin City Public Libraries:
Vision - NET
Vision-Net provides access to documents filed in the Irish Companies Registration Office. Limited information is available on UK and NI Companies. Available online and free of charge for Internet users in all branches of Dublin City Public Libraries.
The Ireland Collection - JSTOR
The Ireland Collection is an interdisciplinary collection of journals and other materials. The Collection contains titles and resources across the arts, humanities, and sciences in disciplines such as music, art, history, literature, archaeology, mathematics, and biology. Materials span from the 1780s to the present.
Search journals and books on subjects such as business and management, library and information science, social sciences, engineering, linguistics and audiology on Emerald. For less recent material Emerald Backfiles is a fully-searchable, digital archive collection, realised in partnership with the British Library, and containing over 65,000 articles from more than 120 journals. Please ask library staff to complete log-in details for Emerald.
The Irish Times Digital Archive and Irish Newspaper Archive are available online and free of charge for Internet users at all branches of Dublin City Public Libraries.
Dublin City Public Libraries working with the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism, and others, to help you in your search for records of family history for past generations. There are 1,334,000 Church records of Baptism, Marriage and Death available to view free of charge on this website. Of these, 734,000 Church records are from Dublin City and 600,000 records are from Kerry.
View a list of Irish public services information online.