Why do we need to conserve water?
With Ireland’s climate, you might think that there is plenty of water to go around with all the rain that we get. But we don’t drink rainwater!
Raw water carries disease-producing bacteria that can seriously damage your health. As a result water has to be treated before we can drink it. The main aim of our treatment process is to remove any harmful bacteria and ensure water is safe for you to use and drink.
Our water treatment plants have a limited capacity i.e. they can only treat a limited volume every single day. So it doesn’t really matter if we get lots of rain because we can only treat the same volume everyday.
We encourage the sustainable use of water resources. You don’t have to make major lifestyle changes to make a difference. By making small changes to some of your daily activities we can significantly reduce the volume of water we waste.
See www.taptips.ie for more information on water conservation