Litter is a major problem in Dublin. To change the behaviour of some people and businesses, our Litter Wardens issue fines against those who have been caught littering.
Pay a litter fine
If you have been issues with a litter fine, you can pay the penalty by contacting us at the address below.
Appeal a litter fine
If you feel that your fine was unfair or mistaken, you can lodge an appeal. Some common reasons why appeals are made include:
- You believe you are not responsible for the litter in question.
- Your litter was properly disposed of but then interfered with.
Step 1: Complete the application form
Step 2: Return the form to us
Return the completed form to us at the address below.
Make an Environmental Complaint
To make an environmental complaint:
Step 1: Contact the person or business directly
In many cases, this will solve the problem. If this doesn't work, or if you would prefer not to take this option, move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Contact the Local Authority
The Local Authority deals with complaints about:
- Backyard burning
- Water pollution
Step 3: Contact the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
Complaints relating to EPA licensed facilities i.e. large waste management facilities such as landfills can be directed to the EPA. Please note the EPA will not become involved in investigating issues that could be resolved by a local authority.
- Keep a record and go into as much detail as possible
- Follow-up any phone calls with a letter or an e-mail to keep a written record
- You can also use the online complaint form or download the complaint form and return it by post
- You can request that your details be kept confidential
- In some cases, you may be asked to act as a witness in court and to give sworn testimony
Download the complaint form (pdf 37Kb).