Dublin City Council uses cookies to improve the functionality of our website. To find out more about cookies, please see our privacy policy.
Normal text size Large text size High Contrast View Normal View

History of the Lord Mayor's Office

Each year Dublin City Council elects the Lord Mayor from among its own members.

 As first citizen of Dublin, the Lord Mayor acts as Ambassador for the city locally and internationally.  During his/her term of office, the Lord Mayor lives in the official residence, the Mansion House.

The Lord Mayor presides at meetings of the City Council and signs its records of proceedings.

 

Key dates in the History of the Lord Mayor of Dublin

1229: King Henry III creates the office of Mayor of Dublin. He also issues a charter allowing the citizens of Dublin to elect a Mayor every year.

1229: Richard Muton is elected the first Mayor of Dublin.

1641: The title of Mayor is changed to Lord Mayor. However, this does not come into force immediately.

1665:  Dublin City Assembly decides that Sir Daniel Bellington should be first to take the title of Lord Mayor of Dublin.

1672: New regulations are introduced. This means that the election of Lord Mayor requires the approval of the Viceroy (Lord Lieutenant) of Ireland.

1760: The common council of Dublin draws up recommendations for constitutional changes to the city assembly. This means that the commons has to approve the election of the Lord Mayor.

1840: The Municipal Corporations Reform (Ireland) Act is passed. Under this Act, all ratepayers with a yearly valuation of £10 can vote in civic elections and sit on the council.

1841: The Municipal Corporations Reform (Ireland) Act comes into force. Dublin Corporation (now Dublin City Council) becomes the new municipal authority for the city of Dublin. Dublin City Assembly holds its last meeting at the City Assembly House in South William Street.

1841: Daniel O’Connell is elected to the new Dublin Corporation and takes office as Lord Mayor of Dublin. He is the first Roman Catholic to be Lord Mayor since 1690.

For more information

Mary Clark
City Archivist
Library Headquarters
138-144 Pearse Street,
Dublin 2.
 
Tel:  (01) 6744996
Fax: (01) 6744879