Cabra

Cabra, Dublin.

St Joseph's School for the Deaf, Cabra

During the Great Irish Famine (1847-1849), two parish priests Monsignor William Yore and Father Thomas McNamara wanted to help deaf children by setting up a school. In 1856, a big school was built beside Cabra Cross. It was named St Joseph's School for the Deaf.

McKee Barracks

McKee Barracks, originally called Marlborough Barracks was built by the British Army in 1888. When Ireland became the Irish Free State in 1922, the British gave the barracks to the Irish forces.

Farmleigh, Cabra

Farmleigh was once a home of the Guinness family. It was bought by Edward Cecil Guinness in 1873. The Irish Government bought the house in 1999 as a guesthouse for important state visitors.

The Hole in the Wall

In Medieval times Blackhorse Avenue was one of the main roads into Dublin City. People travelling to Dublin by horse or by coach would stay overnight outside the city in an inn called 'Ye Signe of Ye Blackhorse'. In much later years soldiers from McKee Barracks in the Phoenix Park would sometimes sneak off and go to the tavern for a beer! The owner of the pub at the time served the men through a hole in the park wall, and this is why it is now called "The Hole in the Wall".

Feedback