Finglas

Finglas, Dublin.

The Nethercross

The Nethercross is an old cross carved out of granite. It was made to look like the cross that St Canice, the patron saint of Finglas and Kilkenny carried with him.

Finglas Abbey

Finglas Abbey stands in ruins in the grounds of St Canice's Graveyard. The Abbey was built on the site of an ancient monastery, which was founded by St Canice in 560 A.D.

McKee Memorial, Finglas

At the crossroads in Finglas village stands a stone memorial that was erected to the memory of a man called Richard McKee. He was a member of the Irish Volunteers, a group of men who fought in the Easter Rising and the War of Independence.

Dunsink Observatory

Dunsink Observatory was built from 1783 until 1785 to allow scientists to observe stars and planets.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

Feedback