Phibsboro'

Phibsboro', Dublin.

Broadstone Station, Phibsborough

Broadstone Railway Station in Phibsborough opened in 1847 and ran trains until 1937. Broadstone was the Dublin terminal of the Midland Great Western Railway Company, which ran trains to Galway.

Blessington Street Basin, Phibsborough

Blessington Street Basin was built in the nineteenth century to provide a clean water supply to the northside of Dublin city. It was opened in 1810 and officially named the Royal George Reservoir, but most Dubliners simply referred to it as 'the basin'. The basin could hold four million gallons of water and it got its water from Lough Owel in Co. Westmeath. Now the basin is a public park with a fountain and a bird sanctuary on its central island.

The Irish Volunteer Monument, Phibsboro'

The Irish Volunteer Monument in Phibsboro' commemorates members of the Dublin Brigade of the Irish Volunteers who fought and died during the Easter Rising (1916) and the War of Independence (1919-21). The monument depicts a soldier and below the soldier scenes from Irish mythology and ancient Irish history: the arrival of the Milesians (the first inhabitants of Ireland), Cuchulainn fighting at the ford and the death of King Brian Boru at Clontarf in 1014.

Feedback