Dublin at Christmas Launches Dublin City’s Festive Programme
~ Come into the city centre and experience the magic of Dublin at Christmas ~
Dublin at Christmas, a partnership between DublinTown, Dublin City Council, Luas Cross City and the city centre businesses, today launched the much anticipated programme of festive fun for this Christmas season. Information on all upcoming events, family fun, Christmas shopping services and special offers can be found at the dedicated website www.dublinatchristmas.ie
Dublin City Centre is always a magical place at Christmas and this year will be the best one yet with a variety of events for all ages taking place during the weeks running up to Christmas.
The Christmas season doesn’t officially begin until the festive lights are switched on in the city. The iconic Dublin Christmas lights on Henry Street and Grafton Street will be switched on during the month of November. Shoppers can celebrate the start of Christmas beneath the festive glow when the businesses in the city centre bring almost 30 streets alive with the magic of Christmas! On Sunday 29th November, Ardmhéara Críona Ní Dhálaigh will turn on the lights of the Christmas Tree in O’Connell Street and we will try to beat our own world record for The ‘Geansaí Nollag’ Christmas jumper challenge.
Each Saturday in December there will be free festive family fun on Grafton Street and Henry Street, including face painting, elves, a giant snow globe and Santa’s Letter Post Box. Dublin at Christmas will ensure that there will be something in Town for everyone to enjoy!
Throughout the festive season the Dublin at Christmas campaign will bring the return of the popular ‘Shop and Drop’ free shopping bag minding service. Two handy shop locations, one on the Northside located on Liffey Street next to Arnotts and one on the Southside located in St Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre will be open for business for the full six weeks of the Dublin at Christmas campaign. Shoppers can safely and securely leave their shopping haul with our staff in these locations while they go off and take full advantage of what the city has to offer. Full details and opening hours can be found on www.dublinatchristmas.ie.
Ardmhéara Bhaile Átha Cliath Críona Ní Dhálaigh said “Christmas is the most magical time of the year and I’m delighted to lead Dublin City Councils involvement in the Dublin at Christmas partnership with DublinTown. As Lord Mayor, I invite everyone to visit the city centre on Sunday, 29th November and join me in switching on the Christmas tree lights on O’Connell Street. There are many great events taking place this season and I would encourage families to come and experience the unique atmosphere that Dublin City Centre has to offer. Tugtar cuireadh do chuile dhuine teacht isteach go Baile Átha Cliath um Nollag chun sult a bhaint as an gceol, na soilse agus an t-atmaisféar spraíúil.”
DublinTown CEO, Richard Guiney said: “Dublin is the place to be at Christmas, there is no place quite like it; the lighting up of the city’s streets adds to the special magic. Christmas is a fantastic time for families to come and enjoy their city. It is a special time with special memories that last a lifetime. With Dublin City Council and our partners we have ensured that there will be several festive activities for all to enjoy, including the traditional Christmas jumper world record attempt and the free family fun each Saturday. We are really excited about Christmas 2015. All signs are that this will be the busiest Christmas for many years when the buzz and atmosphere will be second to none. “
Key dates for Christmas 2015 are:
- Wednesday 4th November 2015, 11.00am – Official Media Launch of Dublin at Christmas Programme
- Thursday 12th November 2015, 5.00pm – A mix of family entertainment before a very special surprise guest will be switching on Henry Street Christmas lights. (event organised by DublinTown)
- Sunday 15th November 2015, 4.30pm –The Grafton Street Christmas lights will also be switched on by a very special surprise guest! (event organised by DublinTown)
- Thursday 19th November 2015, 12pm – Shop and Drop service begins in two locations, on Liffey Street next to Arnotts and in St Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre
- Thursday 26th November 2015, 5.30pm – 8.00pm - Free open-air concert and Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony in Smithfield Plaza – Performers line up can be found on www.dublinatchristmas.ie (event organised by Dublin City Council)
- Also on Thursday 26th November 2015, 5.30pm - Ardmhéara Críona Ní Dhálaigh will light the I BELIEVE 50ft Christmas Tree in George’s Dock and officially open the new I Believe Christmas Village in the city’s Docklands area. See www.ibelieveinchristmas.ie for details.
- Sunday 29th November 2015, 3.30pm – 6.00pm switching on of O'Connell Street Christmas Tree lights by an tArdmhéara Críona Ní Dhálaigh. (event organised by Dublin City Council) The Geansaí Nollag 2015 world record breaking Christmas jumper challenge will also take place at the O’Connell St event. Additionally on O’Connell Street, the I BELIEVE Christmas Village from the docklands will locate a small satellite market in front of the Clerys building. It will be opening on Sunday 29th November and run through December (subject to permit).
- Tuesday 8th December 2015 – The Live Animal Crib opens at the Mansion House. The much loved IFA Live Animal Crib, a joint initiative between Dublin City Council and the Irish Farmers’ Association will celebrate its 21st year at the front of the Mansion House from the 8th December. Entrance is free, but donations are welcome to the Mansion House Fuel Fund, one of Dublin’s oldest charities.
The Dublin at Christmas website is the one-stop-shop for all the festivities taking place in Dublin City Centre this Christmas, including shopping, eateries, family events, special offers, celebrations and much more.
For more information:
Shane Nolan / Luke McDonnell
DublinTown the collective of 2,500 businesses from St Stephen’s Green to Parnell Street, works with its partners to enhance the appeal of the city centre as a place for shopping, recreation and business development. DublinTown organises the popular Dine in Dublin Restaurant Week and the Dublin Fashion Festival. It is also responsible for erecting Christmas lights on almost 30 individual streets in the city centre each year.
Dublin at Christmas Website
www.dublinatchristmas.ie is the ultimate online guide for Christmas in the City Centre; this super seasonal website is Dublin’s one-stop-shop for information on all aspects of Christmas in Dublin’s fair city. The site will feature, details of events for all of the family, fun for you and your friends and great special offers in shops, restaurants, bars and hotels as well as opening hours, information and parking rate promotions along with essential travel information for shopping and socialising in Town.