Kilmainham Mill

Printer-friendly version

The Kilmainham Mill complex sits in the heart of Kilmainham, over-looking the River Camac. It consists of early nineteenth to mid twentieth century buildings with an adjacent, infilled mill-race, and is a protected structure. It served as a flour mill throughout the early nineteenth century, prior to conversion for textile production at the turn of the century.  It ceased all industrial use as a mill in 2000 and has remained unoccupied since that time. 

According to the Conservation Management Plan commissioned by Dublin City Council in 2002 prior to 1800 there were several water-powered mills in this area, dating back to the seventeenth century.  The Kilmainham mill complex appears to be the last remaining largely unaltered early nineteenth century flour mill in the city of Dublin, and is likely the last remaining fulling (textile) mill in Ireland. 

In December 2018 Dublin City Council purchased the Mill and will now commence a redevelopment project. The conservation project will ultimately open the mill to the public creating a cultural hub in the Kilmainham area.

This webpage will be provide regular updates and milestones on this exciting venture.

Feedback