This Image Gallery was created to provide a context for The Diary of the Weather and Winds which has now been made available on the web. The original document and a transcript have been placed on-line by Dublin City Public Libraries as part of its contribution to Dublin’s year as City of Science. Read more about the Diary of the Weather and Winds 1716 - 1734. Copyright notice
These images are primarily taken from the Dublin City Council Photographic Collection. This collection consists of photographs taken by Dublin Corporation/Dublin City Council staff and dates from the 1950s onwards. It is a unique visual record of the history of Dublin and Dubliners. Included are galleries on Dublin buildings such as pubs, churches and shops, and historic events associated with the city including the 1974 Bombings. New galleries are created on a regular basis. | Copyright Notice.
On Wednesday, 27th May 2015, Dublin City Council's Public Library Service took possession of a copy of a rare eye-witness account of the outbreak of the 1916 Easter Rising. The account was in the form of a 26-page letter written by Elsie McDermid, a popular opera singer of the era, to her mother in England on the occasion of Elsie's visit to Dublin. In it she related, among other things, the digging of trenches in St. Stephen’s Green and eye-witness accounts of the first casualties on the streets of Dublin.
As well as the letter, this image gallery includes images of Elsie McDermid and other related material.
As part of the City Council's commitment to making our city accessible for all citizens, Dublin City Public Libraries announced the commencement of access works at 3 branch libraries in November/December 2009, namely Drumcondra, Rathmines and Pembroke. Here you can view some of the results of the improvement works carried out.
The John MacDonagh Collection consists of MacDonagh's plays and sketches, hand-written sheet music, correspondence and ephemera. Of particular significance as a historical document, is a hand-written letter, signed simply "Henry", regarding the conditions in the Frongach Internment Camp to the London Aid Committee, dated 30 August 1916.
Read more about John MacDonagh | Copyright Notice.
A collection of 57 photographs illustrating the aftermath of the North Strand Bombing, May 1941. The photographs were commissioned by Dublin Corporation as evidence for the assessment of insurance claims.
The image gallery consists of correspondence between Patrick English and various family members while he was interned in Frongoch following the 1916 Rising. Patrick English (1894-1970) was part of the F. Company, 4th Battalion, Dublin Brigade who fought in the General Post Office Garrison in Easter 1916. After the surrender, he was imprisoned in Stafford, later transferred to Wormwood Scrubs and then interned in Frongoch.
The Gathering Ireland 2013 was a year long celebration in 2013 of Ireland and all things Irish.
The Special Collections of Dublin City Public Libraries contain a wealth of rare and beautiful material spanning centuries of Dublin’s history. The Collections encompass a wide range of material; from the first Dublin newspapers to hand-tinted maps, from 18th century manuscripts to early editions of the works of Jonathan Swift, from propaganda leaflets of the Civil War period to exquisite examples of the craft of Dublin bookbinders. Highlights include a unique Yeats collection and the complete library of the historian John T. Gilbert. Material will be added to the Treasures from the Collections Image Gallery on an on-going basis. Further information on the Special Collections | Copyright Notice
The Wide Streets Commission had the authority to determine and regulate the facades of buildings erected along the line of new streets developed by it. As a by-product of its interest in and impact on the architecture of Dublin in the period 1757-1849, the Wide Streets Commission amassed a total of 60 elevations of buildings and terraces. Read more about the Wide Street Commission Architectural Drawings | Copyright statement.
Dublin City Archives hold a collection of almost 900 manuscript maps documenting the city before, during and after the work of the commission. In recent years Wide Street Commission Maps have been conserved as part of the Wide Street Commission Map Conservation project, an initiative of Dublin City Library and Archive, which has been part-funded by the Heritage Council of Ireland. Read more about the Wide Street Commission Maps Collection | Copyright statement