Rent Collection & Accounts

Printer-friendly version

Please note that the information contained here is of necessity somewhat condensed. If you have any queries that require more detailed information then please contact the relevant section at the number shown.

What if I fall into arrears with my rent?

If you find you are in arrears with your rent you should contact your local Executive Housing Officer immediately who will discuss the situation with you in detail and arrange a payment plan that will assist you in clearing them within a reasonable period of time and that would not adversely affect your financial circumstances. This will entail paying an amount in addition to your normal weekly rent.

You might also wish to contact the Housing Welfare Section. This is Dublin City Council’s Social Work Service.  It provides a confidential service to Tenants.  A Welfare Officer will research all options available to the individual/s concerned regarding their situation and will offer any assistance or support, as appropriate. There is a free walk-in service each morning from 9.15 - 12.00 at the Welfare Section in the Civic Offices, where you can meet with a Housing Welfare Officer. Housing Welfare Officers also provide a weekly clinic service in the various Council area offices around the city. Contact your local area office for details.

MABS, the Money Advice and Budgeting Service also provides advice on coping with debt and financial difficulties. See or Tel. 1890 283 438.

Can I be taken to Court for Rent Arrears?

You can be taken to Court if you refuse to come to a reasonable arrangement to clear your arrears or if you do not keep to an already agreed plan. At that stage, you must clear all of the arrears and pay Dublin City Council’s legal costs or you will be evicted. If you are evicted, you will not be re-housed by the Council.

What payment options are available to me?

You can pay your rent using a 'Rent Card' (available from the Rents Section/Ballymun Area Office) at the following locations:

  • Any Post Office
  • Retail outlets that operate the “Billpay” facility
  • The cash office located in the Civic Offices at Wood Quay

You can also pay by:

  • Direct Debit
  • Laser Card
  • Visa
  • Secure Online Payment at
  • The Household Budget Scheme. This is a scheme that helps those getting certain Social Welfare payments to spread the cost of some household bills over the year. Under the scheme a fixed amount is deducted from your Social Welfare payment each week.
  • The maximum amount that can be deducted is 25% of your total weekly Social Welfare payment. The scheme is operated by An Post and your payment must be paid through your local Post Office. The Household Budget Scheme is free of charge. Full details of the scheme are available from An Post.  See or Tel. Freephone 1800 707 172. Application forms are available from the Rents Section in the Civic Offices and Ballymun Area Office. It is policy in the case of all new lettings that the Tenant, where appropriate, must sign a Household Budget deduction form.

For more information

For further information on Rent Collection & Accounts please contact:
Rent Collection & Accounts
Rents & Tenant Purchase Section
Block 1 Floor 1
Civic Offices
Wood Quay
Dublin 8

Telephone (Freephone) 1800 679 555 or 222 2211
Area Offices Telephone Contact
Ballymun 222 5620
Ballyfermot 620 7128
Finglas 222 5420