Building Control

Printer-friendly version

Works (Covid-19 Crisis) Notice

The Building Control Regulations 2020 temporarily dis-apply certain provisions of the Building Control Regulations 1997 (No. 496 of 1997) in relation to works that are being carried out in response to Covid-19 and replace them with a streamlined notification process.

Click here for application forms for Works (Covid-19 Crisis) Notice

Click here for link to the Department of Housing, Planning & Local Government’s website for more information on above mentioned Building Control Measures – COVID-19 Emergency

The Building Control Division is responsible for administrating the Building Regulations. The Regulations  are applied and enforced throughout the Dublin City Council areas and are supported by the technical guidance documents. These technical documents, known as approved documents are to provide guidance for meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations 1997 – 2011.

Commencement Notice

If you are carrying out any construction works, you must notify us by sending us a Commencement Notice. It must reach us between 14 and 28 days before you start construction on site, and it must be accompanied by the correct fee. The current fee for a commencement notice is €30 per building. 
You need a commencement notice if you are:
  • Constructing a building
  • Making a Material alteration to a building
  • Extending a building
  • Materially changing the use of a building
  • Carrying out any works in connection with the material alteration of a shop, office or industrial building

You do not need to send in a commencement notice if:

  • the work is exempted development under the Local Government (Planning and Development) Acts, 1963 to 2000 and it does not require a Fire Safety Certificate
NOTE: This exemption does not apply to work in connection with the material alteration of a shop, office or industrial building. In these cases, you must send in a commencement notice regardless of whether or not the works require a Fire Safety Certificate.
There are two types of Commencement Notice;
  1. A Commencement Notice with documentation (also known as a “Long Form”)
    - In this case an Assigned Certifier must be appointed and extra statutory documentation must be submitted
  2. A Commencement Notice without documentation (also known as a “Short Form”)
    - In this case just a Commencement Notice form must be submitted.
Which form to submit – Long or Short?
If your development relates to one of the three below situations, you need a Long Form. 
  • the design and construction of a new dwelling
  • an extension to a dwelling of  greater than 40 meters squared .
  • works which require a Fire Safety Certificate
Otherwise a Short Form is sufficient.
Both the Long Form and Short Form must be submitted online.
You can submit them on the national BCMS (Building Control Management System) which is hosted at

Disability Access Certificate

All applications for Disability Access Certificate, Revised Disability Access Certificate and Dispensation/Relaxation shall be submitted online on the Building Control Management System (BCMS).

A BCMS account is required to submit applications. Please logon to register an account.

Payment can also be made on the BCMS

A Disability Access Certificate is required for the following

  • For new buildings other than dwellings (but including apartment buildings) and certain works to which the Requirements of Part M of the Building Regulations apply which commence or take place on or after 1st January 2010.
  • A Disability Access Certificate is an approval by the Building Control Authority that the proposed design of the building is in compliance with Part M of the Building Control Regulations.
  • A pre-application advisory services is available for certain Disability Access Certificate applications.  Please click here for further information.

For more information Tel. (01) 222 2145  Email:

Note: This information contained here is intended to present a guide and is not a definitive legal interpretation of the building control laws.

For more information

Building Control Division,
Floor 2,
Block 4
East, Civic Offices,
Wood Quay,
Dublin 8
Tel: (01) 222 2145