Dublin City Gallery the Hugh Lane

Printer-friendly version

Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane, owned and funded by Dublin City Council Council, holds over 2,000 of Ireland's best examples of modern and contemporary art.  Featured amongst this collection are works by Bacon, Monet, Renoir, Manet and Degas as well as many accomplished Irish artists.

Admission to the gallery is free to the permanent exhibitions, there may be an admission charge to see a temporary exhibition.The Gallery is open Tuesday to Sunday and is closed on Mondays. The bookshop and cafe are open during gallery hours.

Key Personnel

Image of Barbara Dawson Director of Art Gallery Image of Barbara Dawson Director of Art Gallery
Barbera Dawson
Director
Tara Robertson
 

 

 

About The Gallery

Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane is believed to be the oldest public gallery of modern and contemporary art. A registered charity, it is part of Dublin City Council. Housed in the magnificent 18th century Charlemont House designed by William Chambers, the gallery’s original collection of modern art was presented to Dublin by Sir Hugh Lane in 1908. A world class collection comprising primarily European art it is known for its superb examples of French Impressionist paintings. Hugh Lane was also a particular champion of modern Irish art and the gallery is fortunate to have the foremost collection of 20th century Irish art in the world.  In the ethos of its founder, it continues to acquire for the collection with an emphasis on contemporary practice. 

The role of the gallery is to protect and care for its collections and enhance public participation, enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts by way of exhibition, publications, temporary exhibitions and education projects. As Dublin’s city gallery The Hugh Lane has a responsibility to give value added to the cultural life of city. The purpose of the gallery is as promote civic pride and understanding of its collections and to contribute to public discourse on the visual arts

The Hugh Lane’s role as a leading museum of modern and contemporary art has been enhanced over the years by notable bequests and gifts. On of the most famous is Francis Bacon’s Studio and Archive which opened to the public in 2001. The studio was presented to the gallery by John Edwards Bacon’s heir and Brian Clarke the executor of the Estate of Francis Bacon. The Hugh Lane gallery team which included archaeologists, curators and conservators, in an unprecedented and pioneering practice, successfully relocated the entire studio from Reece Mews, London to Dublin where Bacon was born in Baggot Street in 1909. The studio is one of Dublin’s most popular visual art attractions.  Another recent gift is a superb collection of paintings presented to the city’s collection by the internationally renowned artist Sean Scully who was born in Dublin in 1945.

The gallery has a vibrant annual programme of temporary exhibitions, acquisitions education programmes, public lectures, drawing classes and Sunday at Noon Concerts.  Admission to the gallery is free and all are welcome

All the gallery’s programmes are posted on the gallery’s website www.hughlane.ie
For further information contact info@hughlane.ie or telephone +35312225554/64
Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane,
Charlemont House
Parnell Square,
Dublin 1

The Hugh Lane Gallery Trust Limited is a company which was established in 1998 under the Companies Act 1963. It is a wholly owned company of Dublin City Council. The Company (Members), under its Memorandum and Articles of Association, elects Trustees, who are the Board of Directors and who are charged with the strategic development and management of the gallery.

The gallery is located on Parnell Square North and is open to the public from Tuesday to Sunday. Closed Mondays.
 

Visit our cafe downstairs in the gallery see: www.itsa.ie
For our Bookshop in the gallery see:  www.dubraybooks.ie
For more details about the gallery see:
www.hughlane.ie

 

Feedback