Tercentenary of Dublin’s Mansion House (1715-2015)

Printer-friendly version

Mansion House, early 1980s - Courtesy of Dublin City Public Libraries  Canadian Relief 1880 Plaque, Mansion House  Eamon De Valera John A Costello Round Room, Mansion House 7 March 1975 - Courtesy of Dublin City Public Libraries

Mansion House, early 1980s ;  Canadian Relief 1880 Plaque, Mansion House; Eamon De Valera John A Costello Round Room, Mansion House 7 March 1975

Historical Background

The Mansion House on Dawson Street is the residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin. The Mansion House has been in the ownership of Dublin City for nearly 300 years. The house was built in 1710 by Joshua Dawson after whom Dawson Street is named. The house was bought in 1715 by the City Corporation (now Dublin City Council). The first sitting of Dáil Éireann was held here in 1919 at which a ‘Declaration of Independence’ was read by Cathal Brugha.

Today the house is used both as a residence and as a venue for events hosted by the Lord Mayor on behalf of the City Council.

Commemorative Events

A year–long series of events to mark the tercentenary of Dublin’s Mansion House culminated on 14 December 2015 with the launch of a beautiful book The Mansion House, Dublin 300 years of History and Hospitality edited by City archivist Dr. Mary Clark.

Mansion House  Mansion House Dining Room  Mansion House Front Entrance

Mansion House                   Mansion House Dining Room                                                   Mansion House Front Entrance