Harolds Cross Park

Printer-friendly version

Address: Harolds Cross
Phone: 01-4979124
Area: South Central Area
Category: Southside Neighbourhood Parks
Enquiries: (01) 222 5278

Facilities

  • Historical
  • Leisure Walks
  • Playground 

This 1.25 hectare (3 acres) park was developed in 1894 by the Rathmines / Rathgar Commissioners and officially opened on May 1st 1894. The site of the park was used as commonage from medieval times. Designed by William Sheppard and Sons, “specialists in new parks and dripping pools” and costing £700 to construct, the park is essentially Victorian with a mixture of formal and natural styles. Dublin City Council took over the park in 1934 and has developed flower gardens and a play area while retaining the original design.

There are historical signs in Harold’s Cross the park explaining the parks history. Please click on the links below to view them in full:

Photo of Harold's Cross Park Historical Leaflet

 

 Photo of Harold's Cross Park Historical Leaflet

 

 Photo of Harolds Cross Park History Leaflet

For more information

Parks & Landscapes Services Division
Block 4, Ground Floor,
Civic Offices,
Fishamble Street,
Dublin 2.
Enquiries: (01) 222 5278