Palmerston Park

Printer-friendly version

Address: Palmerston Road, Rathmines, Dublin 6
Phone: 01-4966290
Area: South East Area
Category: Southside Neighbourhood Parks
Enquiries: (01) 222 5278

Facilities

  • Floral Schemes/Mature Tree Planting
  • Historical
  • Leisure Walks
  • Playground
  • Shelter

Lord and Lady Mount Temple, original owners of the land, offered the “Palmerstown Grounds” to the Commission of the Rathmines and Rathgar Township in 1881. After much negotiation, the Commission in 1894 accepted the lands together with a gift of £600 from the Mount Temples for the purpose of developing a public park. The lands were enclosed by railings set on a granite plinth at a total cost of £1,010 and also a gardener recruited at £1.30 per week.

The park transferred to Dublin Corporation in the early 1930s and is maintained to date as a fine example of a typical Victorian park including a pool feature by William Sheppard and Sons similar to that in Harold’s Cross Park. A feature of some of the recent additions is the small play lot.

Park Services commissioned a Conservation & Management Plan for Palmerston Park which was undertaken by Howley Hayes Architects  in 2013. The Plan outlines the historical context of this Victorian Park, analysis of it’s historical and cultural importance with recommended actions to be undertaken on the significant features in the Park.


Other Information:

For more information

Parks & Landscapes Services Division
Block 4, Ground Floor,
Civic Offices,
Fishamble Street,
Dublin 2.

Enquiries: (01) 222 5278
Email: parks@dublincity.ie

Feedback