Air Pollution

Printer-friendly version

What We Do

We investigate complaints about a range of emissions from premises in the Dublin city area under the Air Pollution Act 1987 .  In some cases, a warning letter may resolve the problem. However, further investigation and site visits may be required in order to establish nuisance, and resolve the complaint.
Please Note: This office does not deal with anonymous complaints. Should a case result in court action, a witness may be required to give evidence.  

How do I make a Complaint about Air Pollution

In order to proceed with an air pollution complaint, there must be some element of nuisance proven. As a complainant, you will be required to keep a record of times and dates of the nuisance and make note of the nature of the nuisance and how it is affecting you and your property. The Environmental Health Officer dealing with your complaint will supply you with log sheets for this purpose but you may keep your own record separately too.

If the complaint cannot be solved amicably, a Notice is served under the Air Pollution Act 1987 which can result in a court appearance. As a key witness, you would be expected to give evidence describing the effects the nuisance has had on you, your property, your health etc. 
To proceed with a complaint, please contact us at the address below.


How do I make a complaint about fumes odours or emissions from a Commercial Premises

If you have a complaint about emissions from a commercial or industrial premises, please contact  Customer Services at the address below

You should provide the following information:

  • Details of the type(s) of emission or odour
  • The name and address of the premises causing the nuisance.
  • Your contact details

 An Environmental Health Officer will inspect the premises with a view to establishing whether best practice is in place.

You should keep a record of the dates and times of the emission so we can visit at a time when it is likely to be causing a nuisance


Dust is frequently generated during demolition and construction projects and can have a detrimental effect on nearby businesses and residents.

If a building site nearby fails to take steps to control or limit the dust during a project, you can contact us to report the problem at the address below

You should provide the following information:

  • The name of the construction company (if known)
  • The address of the construction company (if known)
  • Your contact details

 We will call to the site to assess whether the construction company is taking best practice in accordance with the Air Pollution Act 1987.

You should keep a record of the dates and times of the nuisance as it occurs. Also, take note of any specific activity that may be contributing to the nuisance. 


Burning of backyard waste is a common complaint received by this Unit. In addition to causing nuisance to neighbours, when waste is burned, dioxins and toxic by-products can be created. 

Garden waste and recyclable materials can be brought to your local bring centre. You can find this information here

Burning from a commercial or industrial unit should be reported for investigation. 
In addition, Waste Enforcement Officers can visit the premises to establish what is being burned, and should it contravene the Waste Management (Prohibition of Waste Disposal by Burning) Regulations 2009, they can initiate action against the property owner.  


Complaints about asbestos are dealt with by the Unit, but only if there is a case of air pollution nuisance. Complaints about fibre emissions and nuisance from the removal of asbestos can be dealt with under the Air Pollution Act 1987.

Asbestos is a safe product once it remains intact and is not broken. However, should the fibres be released, it may pose a health risk to those exposed to it. 
If you require a licence to carry out asbestos removal, contact the Waste Management Unit


In Summary:

We deal with

  • Complaints about fumes or odours from commercial or industrial premises 
  • Dust from construction sites or demolition projects 
  • Emissions from domestic heating systems 
  • Fumes or emissions from generators etc. 

We cannot deal with  

  • Premises holding Integrated Pollution Prevention Control licences and/or EPA Waste Licences. Click here for information
  • Occupational health exposure to air pollutants. Click here for information
  • Indoor air pollution 
  • Premises covered by Petroleum Vapour Emissions Regulations eg garage forecourts 
  • Vehicular emissions from public service vehicles – they are dealt with by  Carriage Office, Dublin Castle. Click here for information

For more information

Dublin City Council
Customer Service Centre
Civic Offices
Wood Quay
Dublin 8.

Tel: (01) 222 2222 (0800-1800, Monday to Friday)
Fax: (01) 222 5807

Back to Top ^