Find out about your water meter

Printer-friendly version

Water Meters

A water meter will record the volume of water used at your premises. In general you will have a water meter on each supply feeding your premises. Each meter has a unique serial number.

Approximately 97% of water meters installed in Dublin City are mechanical meters that measure flow using an arrangement of moving parts. The remaining 3% of meters are magnetic meters.

How do I locate my meter (magnetic)

The display units of magnetic meters are located in a green kiosk. A magnetic flow meter (mag flowmeter) does not have any moving parts. It is generally used on large supplies and for premises that have a combined supply (i.e. includes fire water).

How do I locate my meter (mechanical)?

Most water meters installed in Dublin City are mechanical meters and are located in the footpath outside your premises.

If you want to read your meter you have got to open the lid. This can be done by prizing it off with a screwdriver. It is important to replace the lid properly to ensure that the meter box remains watertight.

The meter box contains a plastic plug. This protects the meter from frost. Remove the plug if you wish to examine the meter. Don't forget to replace it when you are finished.

An automatic meter reading device (AMR) is attached to your meter that transmits your reading by radio signal. It must not be removed. The digits may be viewed by lifting the flap on the top of the unit.

Your water bill has an 8 digit serial number. This is also stamped on your water meter under the reading digits.

For more information

Irish Water Contact Details:


Web:  www.water.ie
Twitter:  @IrishWater
Telephone: 1850 278 278 (LoCall)
Minicom:  1850 378 378
(For hearing impaired customers with minicom equipment)
Postal Address: Irish Water, PO Box 860, South City Delivery Office, Cork City

Please continue to contact Dublin City Council for information or issues relating to business account queries, surface water drainage and flood management.

Feedback