Drainage and Wastewater Services
Drainage and Wastewater Services Working on behalf of Irish Water
Dublin City Council is responsible for managing the infrastructure necessary for the collection, treatment and disposal of wastewater from Dublin City, Fingal, South Dublin and parts of Dun Laoghaire / Rathdown and Meath County Councils. The divisions that maintain this infrastructure are Drainage Services and Wastewater Services.
The Drainage Services Division is responsible for maintenance of the foul and combined sewer network. It manages the Fats, Oils and Grease Program, an environmental inspection program designed to prevent blockages in the public sewer network caused by unauthorised discharges from commercial kitchens on behalf of Irish Water.
It is also responsible for ensuring that new development complies with environmental legislation by ensuring:
- That capacity is available in the sewer network to facilitate development
- That new development is in line with flood risk management guidelines and is designed to be sufficiently protected from flooding from external sources, and does not cause an increased risk of flooding to other areas
- That sustainable design principles are incorporated into development to ensure good quality water status in rivers
- That the construction of new public drainage infrastructure and the diversion of existing infrastructure is carried out in accordance with best practice
Request a Drainage Service
- Report a problem with a drain or sewer in your area.
- Apply for a new connection to the drainage network.
- Apply for a licence to discharge effluent.
- Learn how Dublin City Council is working to protect you from flooding.
Wastewater Services Division
Wastewater Services Division is responsible for the treatment of Dublin City’s wastewater and the maintenance of it’s pumping stations. This wastewater is treated to EU standards at the Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Works.
Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Works Extension – Environmental Impact Statement
Copies of the EIS can be downloaded on our Ringsend Wastewater Treatment Works Extension page
For more information
PO Box 860
South City Delivery Office
Dublin City Council
Floor 4, Block 1
Opening Hours: 9.30am to 1.00pm. 2.00pm to 4.30pm. Monday to Friday.
Tel: (01) 222 2155
Fax: (01) 222 2300