Libraries

The Great South Wall and Poolbeg Lighthouse, Ringsend

The Great South Wall was built to prevent the shipping lanes leading to Dublin Port from filling up with sand and to provide shelter against the winds

The Pigeon House, Ringsend

Pigeon House is called after a man called John Pidgeon. Around 1760 he was a caretaker of a storehouse used by the builders of the Great South Wall. John Pidgeon started selling refreshments, tea, cakes and lemonade at his storehouse to passengers of the packet ships travelling from England and Europe.

The Irish Glass Bottle Company, Ringsend

Ringsend was a good location for making glass. Glass manufacturers needed a lot of sand, of which Ringsend had plenty. They also needed lots of coal to melt the sand so it was handy to be near the port. The Irish Glass Bottle Company started in Ringsend in 1871.

Drimnagh Castle

Drimnagh Castle was built around 1240 as a fortress of the Barnewall family. There were a Norman family who owned large parts of land in Terenure, Kimmage and Drimnagh.

Cherry Orchard Hospital

Cherry Orchard Hospital in Ballyfermot was built in 1953 as a fever hospital

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

Bushy Park House

Bushy Park House is one of the oldest buildings in Terenure. It was built around 1700 by a man called Arthur Bushe.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

Terenure Enterprise Centre

Terenure Enterprise Centre used to be the Classic Cinema. The Classic was opened in 1938.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

Terenure Synagogue

Terenure Synagogue was built in 1953. The five windows in the front are shaped like the Star of David. The Star of David is a symbol of the Jewish religion and is part of the flag of Israel.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

Royal Hospital, Kilmainham

The Royal Hospital in Kilmainham was built in 1684 to house three hundred old or disabled soldiers from the many wars of the time. In 1991 the hospital was remodeled and became the Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA).

Dublin Buildings

A selection of histories of Dublin buildings. These videos are designed as a resource for primary school children and second level students up to Junior Certificate.

Dublin Buildings on YouTube

Feedback