Libraries

Cathal Brugha Barracks

Cathal Brugha Barracks used to be known as Portobello Barracks as it was built in a part of Rathmines called Portobello. The barracks, which opened in 1815 was originally designed as a cavalry barracks.

Rathmines Town Hall

Rathmines Town Hall, built in 1895 was designed by Irish architect Sir Thomas Drew. Its clock tower is a famous landmark in Rathmines.

The Crescent Cottages, Raheny

The crescent cottages in Raheny were built around 1790 by Samuel Dick, the Governor of the Bank of Ireland and a very wealthy man. He built the cottages for men who worked on his estate.

The Gresham Hotel, O'Connell Street

The Gresham Hotel on O'Connell Street is one of the oldest and most famous hotels in Dublin. The hotel was destroyed in the Civil War in 1922, but was rebuilt and re-opened in 1927.

Broadstone Station, Phibsborough

Broadstone Railway Station in Phibsborough opened in 1847 and ran trains until 1937. Broadstone was the Dublin terminal of the Midland Great Western Railway Company, which ran trains to Galway.

Blessington Street Basin, Phibsborough

Blessington Street Basin was built in the nineteenth century to provide a clean water supply to the northside of Dublin city. It was opened in 1810 and officially named the Royal George Reservoir, but most Dubliners simply referred to it as 'the basin'. The basin could hold four million gallons of water and it got its water from Lough Owel in Co. Westmeath. Now the basin is a public park with a fountain and a bird sanctuary on its central island.

St George's Church, Hardwicke Place

St George's Church was built between 1802 and 1813 for the Protestant community in the north inner city. Its architect was Francis Johnston, the man who also built the GPO in O'Connell Street. St George's has been closed as a church for a long time and once a theatre group worked from there.

The Irish Volunteer Monument, Phibsboro'

The Irish Volunteer Monument in Phibsboro' commemorates members of the Dublin Brigade of the Irish Volunteers who fought and died during the Easter Rising (1916) and the War of Independence (1919-21). The monument depicts a soldier and below the soldier scenes from Irish mythology and ancient Irish history: the arrival of the Milesians (the first inhabitants of Ireland), Cuchulainn fighting at the ford and the death of King Brian Boru at Clontarf in 1014.

The Seven Towers, Ballymun

The seven towers in Ballymun were built between 1966 and 1969. In the 1960s planners and architects thought the best way to house many people very quickly was to build high towers with as many flats in them as possible

The Nethercross

The Nethercross is an old cross carved out of granite. It was made to look like the cross that St Canice, the patron saint of Finglas and Kilkenny carried with him.

Feedback