Libraries

Finglas Abbey

Finglas Abbey stands in ruins in the grounds of St Canice's Graveyard. The Abbey was built on the site of an ancient monastery, which was founded by St Canice in 560 A.D.

McKee Memorial, Finglas

At the crossroads in Finglas village stands a stone memorial that was erected to the memory of a man called Richard McKee. He was a member of the Irish Volunteers, a group of men who fought in the Easter Rising and the War of Independence.

Dunsink Observatory

Dunsink Observatory was built from 1783 until 1785 to allow scientists to observe stars and planets.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

The Roman Catholic St. Pappin's Church

The Roman Catholic St Pappin's Church was built around 1797. St Pappin was the son of Aengus McNathfraid, the first Christian king of Munster.

Met Eireann

The Irish Meteorological Centre in Glasnevin is the headquarters of the Irish Meteorological Service. It was designed by Liam McCormick in an unusual pyramid shape with lots of windows to give the best possible view of the sky.

St Joseph's School for the Deaf, Cabra

During the Great Irish Famine (1847-1849), two parish priests Monsignor William Yore and Father Thomas McNamara wanted to help deaf children by setting up a school. In 1856, a big school was built beside Cabra Cross. It was named St Joseph's School for the Deaf.

McKee Barracks

McKee Barracks, originally called Marlborough Barracks was built by the British Army in 1888. When Ireland became the Irish Free State in 1922, the British gave the barracks to the Irish forces.

Feedback