Dunsink Observatory

Dunsink Observatory was built from 1783 until 1785 to allow scientists to observe stars and planets.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

The Roman Catholic St. Pappin's Church

The Roman Catholic St Pappin's Church was built around 1797. St Pappin was the son of Aengus McNathfraid, the first Christian king of Munster.

Met Eireann

The Irish Meteorological Centre in Glasnevin is the headquarters of the Irish Meteorological Service. It was designed by Liam McCormick in an unusual pyramid shape with lots of windows to give the best possible view of the sky.

St Joseph's School for the Deaf, Cabra

During the Great Irish Famine (1847-1849), two parish priests Monsignor William Yore and Father Thomas McNamara wanted to help deaf children by setting up a school. In 1856, a big school was built beside Cabra Cross. It was named St Joseph's School for the Deaf.

McKee Barracks

McKee Barracks, originally called Marlborough Barracks was built by the British Army in 1888. When Ireland became the Irish Free State in 1922, the British gave the barracks to the Irish forces.

Farmleigh, Cabra

Farmleigh was once a home of the Guinness family. It was bought by Edward Cecil Guinness in 1873. The Irish Government bought the house in 1999 as a guesthouse for important state visitors.

The Hole in the Wall

In Medieval times Blackhorse Avenue was one of the main roads into Dublin City. People travelling to Dublin by horse or by coach would stay overnight outside the city in an inn called 'Ye Signe of Ye Blackhorse'. In much later years soldiers from McKee Barracks in the Phoenix Park would sometimes sneak off and go to the tavern for a beer! The owner of the pub at the time served the men through a hole in the park wall, and this is why it is now called "The Hole in the Wall".

Áras an Uachtaráin

Áras an Uachtaráin in the Phoenix Park is the house of the Irish president. The name means "living place of the president" in Irish.