Libraries

The Seven Towers, Ballymun

The seven towers in Ballymun were built between 1966 and 1969. In the 1960s planners and architects thought the best way to house many people very quickly was to build high towers with as many flats in them as possible

The Nethercross

The Nethercross is an old cross carved out of granite. It was made to look like the cross that St Canice, the patron saint of Finglas and Kilkenny carried with him.

Finglas Abbey

Finglas Abbey stands in ruins in the grounds of St Canice's Graveyard. The Abbey was built on the site of an ancient monastery, which was founded by St Canice in 560 A.D.

McKee Memorial, Finglas

At the crossroads in Finglas village stands a stone memorial that was erected to the memory of a man called Richard McKee. He was a member of the Irish Volunteers, a group of men who fought in the Easter Rising and the War of Independence.

Dunsink Observatory

Dunsink Observatory was built from 1783 until 1785 to allow scientists to observe stars and planets.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

The Roman Catholic St. Pappin's Church

The Roman Catholic St Pappin's Church was built around 1797. St Pappin was the son of Aengus McNathfraid, the first Christian king of Munster.

Met Eireann

The Irish Meteorological Centre in Glasnevin is the headquarters of the Irish Meteorological Service. It was designed by Liam McCormick in an unusual pyramid shape with lots of windows to give the best possible view of the sky.

Feedback