Libraries

Pembroke Town Hall, Ballsbridge

Pembroke Town Hall was built in 1880 as the offices of the fifteen town commissioners. The commissioners governed and provided services for the Pembroke Township from 1863-1930 and were elected by local wealthy landowners of the time. Pembroke Township included Ballsbridge, Ringsend, Irishtown, Donnybrook and Sandymount.

Royal Dublin Society, Ballsbridge

In 1731 a man called Thomas Prior formed a group called the Dublin Society to try to help farming and industry in Ireland. From 1815 until 1923 the RDS was situated in Leinster House, which currently houses the Dáil. In 1923 Leinster House was sold to the Government and the RDS moved to its current location in Ballsbridge

The Martello Tower, Sandymount

The Martello Tower at Sandymount was built in 1804. There were 28 towers built in Dublin, 16 on the southside and 12 on the northside, for example in Sutton, Howth and on Dalkey Island and Killiney Hill.

The Arthur Morrison Monument, Donnybrook

This monument commemorates Arthur Morrison, Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1835-6.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

Rathmines Public Library

Rathmines Public Library was built in 1913 with the aid of a Carnegie grant. Andrew Carnegie was an American millionaire who gave money to build libraries and museums in America, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

Merrion Pier and Baths, Sandymount

Merrion Pier and Baths in Sandymount used to be a big attraction for Dubliners. The pier and outdoor sea water baths opened on 28 July 1883.

The Great South Wall and Poolbeg Lighthouse, Ringsend

The Great South Wall was built to prevent the shipping lanes leading to Dublin Port from filling up with sand and to provide shelter against the winds

The Pigeon House, Ringsend

Pigeon House is called after a man called John Pidgeon. Around 1760 he was a caretaker of a storehouse used by the builders of the Great South Wall. John Pidgeon started selling refreshments, tea, cakes and lemonade at his storehouse to passengers of the packet ships travelling from England and Europe.

The Irish Glass Bottle Company, Ringsend

Ringsend was a good location for making glass. Glass manufacturers needed a lot of sand, of which Ringsend had plenty. They also needed lots of coal to melt the sand so it was handy to be near the port. The Irish Glass Bottle Company started in Ringsend in 1871.

Drimnagh Castle

Drimnagh Castle was built around 1240 as a fortress of the Barnewall family. There were a Norman family who owned large parts of land in Terenure, Kimmage and Drimnagh.

Feedback