Roads and Traffic

Put a Skip on Your Road

You need to buy a permit to put a skip on a public road where parking restrictions apply. This includes:

Buy a Parking Permit

Apply for or renew a Resident's Parking Permit

If you live in an area of the city that has a Pay and Display and Permit Parking Scheme, you may be eligible to buy a Resident’s Parking Permit from Dublin City Council.

General Transport Measures

The Roads & Traffic department is responsible for implementation of various policies and traffic measures, relating to roads and traffic issues.

Permits for Disabled Parking

If you are a driver (or car passenger) with a disability, you can apply for a Disabled Person’s Parking Permit. This gives you special permissions for parking in Dublin. Find out more about these permissions below.

Apply for a permit

To get a permit contact either of the following organisations:

Disabled Drivers’ Association
Co. Mayo
Tel: (094) 936 4266

Parking for City Residents

Apply for a Residents parking permit

You can buy a Residents’ Parking Permit if you live in an area of Dublin city where a Residents’ Parking Permit Scheme operates and if you qualify for a permit. This permit would allow you to park on the public road in which you live. 

Permits and Licences

Permits and licences to interfere with a road or footpath

An image of a hoarding

How to Apply for a Temporary Road Closure

In the interest of effective traffic management, Dublin City Council adopts a strict approach to all requests for road closures. Road closures are restricted to:

Apply for an Abnormal Load Permit

Apply for a permit to transport an Abnormal Load by road

You need a permit to move goods by road if your cargo is:

  • Width - exceeds 2.90 metres.

  • Length - exceeds 16.5 metres.

  • Weight - exceeds 44 tons

This permit is called an Abnormal Load Permit. It costs €31.

Get an 'Abnormal Load Permit'

To buy a permit, follow these steps:

Build a Scaffold or Hoarding

Apply for a licence to build a scaffold or hoarding

You need a licence if you want to build a hoarding or scaffolding on a public footpath or roadway.

Get a hoarding or scaffold licence

To buy a licence, follow these steps:

Step 1: Contact Dublin City Council Roadworks Control Unit

We will arrange for a Roadworks Control Inspector to meet you at the place where you want to set up the hoarding or scaffolding.

Roadworks Control Unit

The Roadworks Control Unit is responsible for the control and management of roadworks in the City with a view to minimising their impact on traffic flow and maintaining public safety.

Every road in the City has been assigned a Traffic Impact Number from 1 to 5, according to its importance as a strategic traffic route.  Impact 1 and 2 include lightly trafficked routes while numbers 3, 4 and 5 are the heavily trafficked routes.