North Lotts & Grand Canal Dock SDZ Planning Scheme
Information for Applicants and Other Parties
Please note that An Bord Pleanála has approved the North Lotts & Grand Canal Dock SDZ Planning Scheme. The SDZ Planning Scheme, by virtue of Section 169 of the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2013, now forms part of the City Development Plan, and any contrary provisions in the Development Plan are superseded.
The consolidated Planning Scheme document, incorporating the modifications approved by the City Council on 5th November 2013, together with the further modifications approved by An Bord Pleanala on 16th May 2014, is now published and available below
- Introduction and Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6 and Appendix
Copies of the SDZ are available for inspection at the Civic Offices Planning Counter, Wood Quay, Dublin 8 between 09.30 – 16.30 Monday to Friday.
The SDZ Planning Scheme area is shown on the attached map. Section 34 of the Planning and Development Acts shall apply to a planning application made to the Planning Authority within the SDZ, subject to the following;
- • The Planning Authority shall grant permission where it is satisfied that the proposed development is consistent with the approved SDZ Planning Scheme, and no permission shall be granted for any development which would not be consistent with the SDZ Planning Scheme.
- • While any party may make a submission/observation in respect of any planning application within a period of 5 weeks beginning on the date of receipt by the Planning Authority of the application on payment of the prescribed fee of €20.00, no appeal may be made to An Bord Pleanála against the decision of the Planning Authority in relation to development in the SDZ.
Newspaper and Site Notices must, by virtue of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 as amended, indicate that the application relates to development in the SDZ. The following wording is suggested:
“This application relates to a proposed development within the North Lotts & Grand Canal Dock SDZ Planning Scheme area.”
On the 18th December 2012, Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, announced that parts of the Dublin Docklands area at North Lotts and Grand Canal Dock have been designated as a Strategic Development Zone (SDZ).
Dublin City Council, at its meeting on 5TH November 2013, decided by resolution to make the North Lotts & Grand Canal Dock Planning Scheme.
A copy of the Planning Scheme is available for inspection at The Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8. The documents may also be viewed here;
- Public Notice
- Planning Scheme
- Booklet of Figures
- Environmental Report
- Natura 2000 Impact Report.
- SEA Statement 12th November 2013
- SDZ Views Prospects Analysis Final (27th Feb 2013)
Docklands Conference: A Community for All
The Docklands Conference, “A Community For All”, hosted by Dublin City Council and the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) was held in May 2013.
Opened by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Naoise Ó Muirí, the conference, a core component of the SDZ consultation process, entailed a series of inputs by expert informants – nominated in consultation with the Docklands Community Liaison Committee - and workshops chaired by local community representatives. These workshops analysed the enormous potential of the Docklands with particular reference to the newly designated Strategic Development Zone.
Over the course of the two days, animated conversations were interspersed with robust exchanges and strongly held opinions in a series of breakout sessions, where delegates debated themes ranging from the economy, education and young people, to housing, arts, culture and recreation, the maritime environment, and health and sustainable living. A summary of the proceedings and the workshop findings is set out in the report.