Books to build new skills for your baby/toddler
We had our last sessions of the Baby and Toddler Book Clubs on Tuesday, 27 June. To celebrate, we had a little party for each group with jellies, sweets, juices and bubble mixtures. The sessions had good attendances again with over 20 people at each group.
The Baby Book Club final book choice was Clap Hands Here Come the Puppies. This book is aimed at babies and young toddlers. The book is designed to develop sensory, language and physical awareness. Each page contains bright pictures and patches with various textures. The book also encourages little ones to clap hands – a skill that most babies acquire by the age of 6 months. It’s an ideal read for at home and on trips. We sang ‘Six Little Dogs’ to the tune of ‘Six Little Ducks’ to complement the story.
Toddler Book Club
Some of the children who attend this club will be starting Montessori school in September. Others are looking forward to going on holidays whilst all will have to move from sleeping in a cot to a big bed eventually. Books are a fantastic way of introducing children to new experiences and helping them cope with life changes. We’ve covered all of the topics mentioned in our final sessions by reading these stories:
- Whiffy Wilson, The Wolf Who Wouldn’t Go To School by Caryl Hart and Leonie Lord (A very funny book which is bound to reassure your little one about starting school.)
- ‘Big Enough For a Bed’ by Sesame Street (A nice, gentle story about the Sesame Street character, Elmo, who learns how to sleep in a big bed.)
- ‘Maisy Goes by Plane’ by Lucy Cousins. (This story will prepare your child for what travelling by airplane entails. This is a lovely holiday read.)
All of the above are available for loan from Ballymun Library.
The Baby and Toddler Book Clubs are on a break for the summer months to facilitate other Library events. We’ll be back in early September. Check with Ballymun Library (Telephone No. 01-842 1890) or this website for full details.
Have a great summer!!
Maria Sheahan (Librarian & Book Club Facilitator)
- Suggested reads for young children: Books covering life experiences e.g potty training, going to school; and early learning concepts e.g. colours, shapes, numbers for parents to read with their children.
- List of the books previously read by the Baby Book Club and Toddler Book Club.