Kevin Street Library Refurbishment
[Updated: 12 September 2017] Construction of the new lift block began at Kevin Street Library this week. The lift will bring library users up to the new first floor study and computer room, with access to special collections on the gallery in the inner reading room.
Townlink Construction have advised Dublin City Council of an extension of their programme due to a delay on site. The updated timetable for completion of the refurbishment works is as follows:
- Contract commencement date: 30 January 2017
- Commencement of works: 8 February 2017
- Completion/handover: 25 October 2017*
- Fit-out/move in (2 months): Opening January 2018
The Design Concept have been awarded the contract for the fit out of the library. Examples of their previous work can be seen here: www.thedesignconcept.co.uk/projects
* Dublin City Council has been notified by the contractor, Townlink Construction, of a delay in the supply of materials required for the completion of the construction works. This delay has resulted in a change to the handover date, which is now 25th October 2017. It is now expected that the library will reopen, following a period of 2 months to fit out and stock the building, in January 2018. The circumstances of the delay are beyond the control of Dublin City Public Libraries, however, we apologise for the continued inconvenience caused to the users of Kevin St. Library.
Dublin City Public Libraries announced in 2013 the commencement of works to refurbish Kevin Street Library.
Library services have seen enormous change over the years. Kevin Street Library has been in need of refurbishment works to accommodate the requirements of a public library beyond those envisaged when the building first opened in 1904. Works include:
- Specialist repairs to the roof and structure
- Conservation of original architectural features
- Restoration of original wooden shelving and flooring
- Increased public space for study, exhibitions, community groups & children’s library (In part, facilitated by the construction of a new floor and mezzanine/gallery).
- Universal accessibility to all areas
- Public restrooms
We apologise for any inconvenience this causes to the users of Kevin Street Library, and while it is unfortunate that any library must close, this closure ensures the library’s long-term survival. The library celebrated 100 years in 2004 and we want to make sure it’s around for many, many more!
See below photo update of the refurbishment works ongoing in Kevin St Library (April 2016):
Mobile Library Services are available at D.I.T. Kevin Street on Saturdays from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 4.30pm for the duration of the refurbishment works. Kevin Street Library users are also welcome to use our other locations in or close to the city centre: