Commercial Premises

The Gresham Hotel, O'Connell Street

The Gresham Hotel on O'Connell Street is one of the oldest and most famous hotels in Dublin. The hotel was destroyed in the Civil War in 1922, but was rebuilt and re-opened in 1927.

The Hole in the Wall

In Medieval times Blackhorse Avenue was one of the main roads into Dublin City. People travelling to Dublin by horse or by coach would stay overnight outside the city in an inn called 'Ye Signe of Ye Blackhorse'. In much later years soldiers from McKee Barracks in the Phoenix Park would sometimes sneak off and go to the tavern for a beer! The owner of the pub at the time served the men through a hole in the park wall, and this is why it is now called "The Hole in the Wall".

Brereton's Pawn Shop

Brereton's Pawn Shop has been open on Capel Street since 1850. You will know a pawnshop by the three golden balls hanging outside.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

The Pigeon House, Ringsend

Pigeon House is called after a man called John Pidgeon. Around 1760 he was a caretaker of a storehouse used by the builders of the Great South Wall. John Pidgeon started selling refreshments, tea, cakes and lemonade at his storehouse to passengers of the packet ships travelling from England and Europe.

Terenure Enterprise Centre

Terenure Enterprise Centre used to be the Classic Cinema. The Classic was opened in 1938.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

Feedback