Places of Worship

St John the Evangelist's Church, Coolock

St John the Evangelist Church, Coolock was built in 1760 on the site of a really old church called St Brendan's Church. 

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

All Saints' Church, Raheny

All Saints' Church, Raheny was built by Lord Ardilaun who owned St Anne's estate in the late nineteenth century.

 

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

St Assam's Church, Raheny

The ruins of St Assam's Church lie in the centre of Raheny Village. St Assam is thought to have been a disciple of St Patrick.

This video is designed as a resource for primary and post-primary students up to Junior Certificate.

St George's Church, Hardwicke Place

St George's Church was built between 1802 and 1813 for the Protestant community in the north inner city. Its architect was Francis Johnston, the man who also built the GPO in O'Connell Street. St George's has been closed as a church for a long time and once a theatre group worked from there.

Finglas Abbey

Finglas Abbey stands in ruins in the grounds of St Canice's Graveyard. The Abbey was built on the site of an ancient monastery, which was founded by St Canice in 560 A.D.

The Roman Catholic St. Pappin's Church

The Roman Catholic St Pappin's Church was built around 1797. St Pappin was the son of Aengus McNathfraid, the first Christian king of Munster.

The Black Church

The Black Church or St. Mary's Chapel-of-Ease (its real name) on St. Mary's Place was built in 1830. It was believed that if you ran around the church three times at midnight, the devil would appear and steal your soul.

St Doulagh's Church

St Doulagh's Church probably dates from the twelfth century. St Doulagh was an anchorite which means a type of hermit. A hermit would have hardly any contact with the outside world, eat only basic meals and spend the day praying.

The Moravian Church, Kevin Street

The Moravian Church, built in 1760, is situated on Kevin Street. On the front of the building is a carving of the Lamb of God holding a flag, which is the symbol of the Moravians. The church was closed for religious services in 1959.

St Patrick's Cathedral

St Patrick's Cathedral is one of Ireland's best-known and largest cathedrals. Saint Patrick is said to have baptised people here at a well beside the River Poddle. The river still runs under St Patrick Street near the Cathedral.

Feedback