Theatres

The Ambassador and Rotunda Hospital, O'Connell Street

The Rotunda Hospital was built by Bartholomew Mosse in 1757 for mothers and babies. Bartholomew raised money for the new hospital by organising concerts and garden visits. The concert hall was called the Rotunda, which means round room because of its shape. The hospital got its name from this hall.

The Theatre Royal

The Theatre Royal on Hawkins Street was a huge theatre, the biggest in Europe at one time. Built in 1821, it had a theatre, cinema, wintergarden and restaurant and it was very popular. The theatre closed in 1962 because it wasn't making enough money.

Feedback