Irish, European and International Law Collection
Published on 5th May 2011
The Business Information Centre holds a core collection of law books and journals. The main focus of the collection is on Irish Law but it also includes a selection of books on European and International Law. Please note: This is a reference collection, items may not be borrowed.
Photocopying facilities are available. The Copyright and Related Act 2000 applies.
Visit our library catalogue for a complete listing of law books in stock.
Law Books Collection
The following is a sample list of Irish law books in stock in The Business Information Centre.
Irish Law: General
- The Irish Legal System. (Byrne, Raymond and Paul McCutcheon)
- The Irish Legal System. (Donovan, Dorothy)
- Murdoch’s Dictionary of Irish Law. (Hunt, Brian)
- Principles of Irish Law. 8th ed. (Doolan, Brian)
Irish Bankruptcy Law
- Bankruptcy Law and Practice. (Sanfey, Mark and Bill Holohan)
Irish Civil Law
- Civil Litigation (Law Society of Ireland Manual ed. Colette Reid)
Irish Constitutional Law
- Constitutional Law. (Forde, Michael)
- Constitutional Law: Text, Cases and Materials. (Doyle, Oran)
- J M Kelly: The Irish Constitution. (Hogan, G. W. and G .F. Whyte)
Irish Criminal Law
- Criminal Law in Ireland. (Quinn, Seán)
- Criminal Legislation in Ireland. (O’Sullivan, Lynn)
Irish Data Protection Law
- Data Protection Law in Ireland: Sources and Issues. (Lambert, Paul)
Irish Family Law
- Family Law in the Republic of Ireland. (Shatter, Alan)
Irish Land Law
- Irish Land Law. 5th ed. (Wylie, J.C.)
- Land Law in Ireland. (Lyall, Andrew)
Irish Landlord and Tenant Law
- Landlord & Tenant Law, the Residential Sector. (Cassidy, Úna and Jennifer Ring)
- Landlord & Tenant Law. (Law Society of Ireland Manual. Ed. Gabriel Brennan)
Irish Planning and Environmental Law
- Planning and Environmental Law in Ireland. (Gore-Grimes, John)
Irish Law Journals
The Bar Review is the official journal of the Bar of Ireland. It features articles written by practicing barristers and guest writers on a variety of legal topics.
Courts Services News
Courts Service News is the magazine of the Irish Courts Service. It reports on major courts related developments and includes informal news for serving and retired staff.
Employment Law Report
Employment Law Report deals exclusively with employment and trade union law. It reports on determinations of the Employment Appeals Tribunal, the Labour Court and recommendations from equality officers. It also reports judgments from the High Court, Supreme Court, the District Court and Circuit Court.
Published by Free Legal Advice Centres Ltd this magazine reports on issues arising in the following four main areas of public interest: civil legal aid, social welfare law, debt and consumer credit and public interest law.
Irish Journal of European Law
The Irish Journal of European Law Incorporates the Journal of the Irish Society for European Law.
Irish Law Reports Monthly
The Irish Law Reports Monthly (I.L.R.M.) supplies the majority of judgments from the Superior Courts in Ireland. It contains full text law reports with headnotes.
Law Reform Commission Reports and Law Reform Consultation Papers
The Law Reform Commission is an independent statutory body. Its duty is to keep the national law of the state under review and to formulate proposals for law reform. Since it was established, the Commission has published over 150 documents (Consultation Papers and Reports) containing proposals for law reform.
Law Society Gazette
The Law Society is the educational, representative and regulatory body of the solicitors' profession in Ireland.
British and Irish Legal Information Institute (BAILII)
Access to Freely Available British and Irish Public Legal Information.
Here you can find British and Irish case law & legislation, European Union case law, Law Commission reports, and other law-related British and Irish material.
The Courts Service was established as an independent corporate organisation following the enactment of the Courts Service Act, 1998. Functions of the Court Service
- to manage the courts
- to provide support services for the judges
- to provide information on the courts system to the public
- to provide, manage and maintain court buildings
- to provide facilities for users of the courts
This site gives access to:
- The Legal Diary giving lists of cases for hearing in the Supreme Court, the Court of Criminal Appeal, the Central Criminal Court, the Courts-Martial Appeal Court, the High Court and the Central Criminal Court
- Court judgements
- Online fine payment facility
- Online application facility to the Small Claims Court
- And much more
Free Legal Aid Centres (FLAC)
FLAC is a human rights organisation that promotes access to justice for all. It provides a telephone information and referral line and a network of free legal advice centres.
Irish Law: Guide to Irish Law
The Irish Law website was set up by Dr Darius Whelan a lecturer in law at University College Cork (UCC). Topics covered include;
- The development of the Irish Legal System,
- The Irish Constitution of 1937
- Primary Legislation: Acts of the Oireachtas
- Secondary Legislation: Statutory Instruments
- Courts and Case Law
- Solicitors and Barrister
- Discussion lists and Electronic Newsletter
- Recommended Blogs, Books and Journals
Irish Statute Book (Online)
The electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB) comprises the full texts of the Acts of the Oireachtas, Statutory Instruments and Legislation Directory.
Please note: The official version of the Acts of the Oireachtas and Statutory Instruments remains the printed version published by Government Publications.
The Law Society
The Law Society is the professional body for solicitors and exercises statutory functions under the Solicitors Acts 1954 to 2008 in relation to the education, admission, enrolment, discipline and regulation of the solicitors' profession.
Services to the general public on this website include
- Find a firm
- Information on how to make a complaint
- Information on how to qualify as a solicitor
For more information
Contact a member of staff in the Business Information Centre: 01-8733996 or [email protected]