Music: The Great Courses
Published on 1st November 2021
The Great Courses offers a series of video classes as follows for aspiring musicians
Learning to Play Guitar: Chords, Scales, and Solo: go from zero to guitar hero in 25 lessons, including:
- Guitar basics: play a song in 60 seconds
- Learning how to practice the guitar
- Playing rhythm guitar
- Playing with natural harmonics
How to Play Piano: learn to tickle the ivories and awaken your inner Beethoven over 36 lessons, including:
- Basic piano fingering and rhythm
- Pitch and off-staff notation
- Primary chords
- Major chords and simple accompaniment
- Sight reading and technique
How to Sing: Think you can’t carry a tune? Prove yourself wrong with 24 lessons which include the following themes and topics:
- Anyone can sing
- Vocal Warm-Ups
- Aligning the spine
- Your Voice Type
- Maximizing Your Vocal Range
The Great Courses also has a great selection of music information and appreciation courses for you to enjoy, such as:
- The 23 Greatest Solo Piano Works: Explore the greatest solo works written for piano.
- The Great Works of Sacred Music: Discover the masterworks of the sacred music tradition, from early church music to the modern era.
- Music and the Brain: Explore the neuroscience of music.
- America's Musical Heritage: Learn about more than 200 years of musical sounds and styles.
- Great Music of the 20th Century: Travel into the lives of the great 20th-century composers and immerse yourself in the era's musical masterworks.
- Music as a Mirror of History: Discover how great works of music have interacted with historical events.
- Other courses also include lectures on music such as Celtic Music and Dance from The Celtic World and Scoring the Story: Music in Film in How to View and Appreciate Great Movies
Each of the Great Courses is taught by experts in their field, and includes a supplementary guide book. You can play, pause, and review information as often as you like. You can access as many courses as you want to for 7 days. After 7 days, simply log in again and get another 7 day’s access.