New Database Site Now Available
Published on 29th April 2015
Databases.dublincity.ie gives access to a variety of databases and allows for the cross-searching of a number of databases produced by Dublin City Libraries and Archive.
Most of the original records from which the databases are created are held in the Dublin City Library & Archive, 138-144 Pearse Street, Dublin 2.
Much of the work in the delivery of the website, including database production, search interface, initial research and the preparation and editing of material, has been carried out by John Grenham, Genealogist.
More databases will be added as they are completed.
The databases featured and included in the combined search are:
- Community Memory - a database of plaques and public memorials throughout the City.
- Dublin Directory 1647-1708 - a database of Dubliners compiled from a variety of sources.
- Ancient Freemen of Dublin (1461 to 1491, and 1564 to 1774) - a database of all those who were entered into the Freedom of the City by the City Assembly.
- Dublin City Electoral Lists 1908 to 1915 - a database of all those registered to vote in municipal elections.
- Dublin City Electoral Lists 1938 to 1964 - a database of all those registered to vote in local elections.
- Dublin Graveyards Directory - a database with details of all graveyards in the Dublin area.
- Cemetery Burial Registers (Clontarf, Drimnagh, and Finglas) - a database of those buried in three now closed cemeteries which are under the control of Dublin City Council.
The Monica Roberts Collection is not included in the combined search and needs to be searched separately. This collection contains 453 letters from 56 soldiers to Monica Roberts during World War One.
The Parish Registers, containing baptism, marriage and burial records for Dublin Parishes have been incorporated into the Irish Genealogy website and form a significant portion of the total records available on that website. These records were compiled by the Dublin Heritage Group for Dublin City Libraries. The records can also be accessed in the Reading Room, Dublin City Library & Archive, Pearse Street, Dublin.
Other history content online
The Dublin Diary - lists stories that made the news in Dublin over the years during the current month.
Publications - a list of publications produced by Dublin City Council / Libraries, many of which can be purchased.
see also eResources.