Croppies Park

Printer-friendly version

Image of river that runs through Croppies Park

Address: Wolfe Tone Quay, Dublin 8.
Phone: 01-6612369
Area: Central
Category: Historic and Heritage Park
Enquiries: 222 5278


  • Floral Schemes
  • Historical
  • Leisure Walks
  • River/Pool/Sea

Located opposite Frank Sherwin Bridge at Wolfe Tone Quay, this 0.25 hectare park was named in 1983 after the Croppies of the 1798 Rebellion who were executed in the vicinity and at one time was known as the Crimean Trophy Plot because of the presence of Russian artillery guns captured during the 1854-56 Crimean War.  The site was originally part of the Military Recreation Grounds attached to the adjacent Collins (formerly Royal) Barracks.  Acquired by the Wide Streets Commissioners, the area was owned from 1860 until 1969 by the Office of Public Works when it passed to Dublin Corporation who upgraded the park in 1983.

An ornamental pond and water feature/fountain consisting of sections of Wicklow granite mounted on columns from the former Guinness Mansion at St. Anne's Park were installed at this time.

Other information:

  • Fountain

For more information

Parks & Landscapes Services Division
Block 4, Ground Floor,
Civic Offices,
Fishamble Street
Dublin 2

Enquiries: (01) 222 5278