Roads and Traffic

Blackhorse Avenue – Section 2, Road Improvement Scheme

Scope of the work to be carried out
The proposed scheme includes the widening and reconstruction of an existing 500m long section of carriageway on Blackhorse Avenue in Dublin 7 from a point just southeast of the Cabra Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park to a point southwest of its junction with Springfield Road, incorporating the construction of new concrete footpaths, the provision of new boundary walls and the upgrading of the existing public lighting facilities.  The individual elements to the scheme are as follows;

Samuel Beckett Bridge Temporary Closures

Put a Skip on Your Road

You need to buy a permit to put a skip on a public road where parking restrictions apply. This includes:

Taxing a Private/Commercial Vehicle

Taxing a Private/Commercial Vehicle for the first time

You can tax a new or imported vehicle for the first time by post, in person or online.

Replace a Tax Document

You can replace any of the motor tax documents listed below. To do so, you must pay the charge shown below:

  • Registration Book: €12
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate: €12
  • Tax Disc: €6
  • Trailer Card: €6

Get a Replacement Document

To apply for a replacement document, follow these steps:

Reilly’s Bridge / Ratoath Road Realignment and Overbridge

Ratoath Road Realignment and Overbridge to Replace Reilly’s Bridge, Co. Dublin

The Ratoath Road links Cabra to Dunsink in north Dublin. The road crosses the Dublin to Sligo Railway Line at a level crossing and the Royal Canal at an existing masonry arch bridge. For the reasons described below, an April 2008 feasibility study recommended the closure of the level crossing, XG002.

Roads and Traffic Projects

Schemes currently under construction:

Apply for an Abnormal Load Permit

Apply for a permit to transport an Abnormal Load by road

You need a permit to move goods by road if your cargo is:

  • Width - exceeds 2.90 metres.

  • Length - exceeds 16.5 metres.

  • Weight - exceeds 44 tons

This permit is called an Abnormal Load Permit. It costs €31.

Get an 'Abnormal Load Permit'

To buy a permit, follow these steps:

Build a Scaffold or Hoarding

Apply for a licence to build a scaffold or hoarding

You need a licence if you want to build a hoarding or scaffolding on a public footpath or roadway.

Get a hoarding or scaffold licence

To buy a licence, follow these steps:

Step 1: Contact Dublin City Council Roadworks Control Unit

We will arrange for a Roadworks Control Inspector to meet you at the place where you want to set up the hoarding or scaffolding.

General Transport Measures

The Roads & Traffic department is responsible for implementation of various policies and traffic measures, relating to roads and traffic issues.