Overview of Covid Mobility Programme
“Enabling the City to Return to Work, Interim Mobility Intervention Programme for Dublin City ”, addresses the new and urgent needs which have emerged as a result of the Covid-19 Public Health Emergency. The goal of this programme, in essence, is to allow the city to function under the new arrangements arising from the Covid-19 public health emergency, both in terms of providing space for safe movement plus business activities, and in accommodating the changed transport patterns.
To view this, you must update your
The aims of the Dublin City Covid Mobility Programme are:
- To ensure safe access to and movement within Dublin City for all users;
- To provide sufficient movement capacity to cater for the changed travel patterns; and
- To support the economic recovery of the City and the region.
These high-level aims have been translated into transport-specific objectives as follows:
- To improve pedestrian safety through the provision of additional space for movement and enhanced pedestrian areas;
- To enable more people to cycle by providing safer cycling facilities;
- To provide additional space at many bus stops in order to facilitate social distancing while waiting;
- To accommodate a certain level of car use, calibrated with other transport needs, including possible additional parking provision on the periphery of the city core area; and
- To implement various bus route changes required to enable the roll-out of cycling and walking measures while still maintaining a strong public transport network
The programme initially prioritised key radial routes into the city, the city core and a number of interventions in urban villages but is very much a “live” programme and a citywide approach is being taken.
Due to the reduced capacity on Public Transport, we are encouraging people to walk or cycle wherever possible in order to save space on public transport and on the road for those who really need it.
Work is ongoing to assess feasible locations for interventions across the city and we have set up a dedicated portal for specific requests, Covid Mobility Measure Request Form