The Mansion House on Dawson Street is the residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin. The Mansion House has been in the ownership of Dublin City for nearly 300 years.
Mansion House Key Facts
- Built in 1710 by Joshua Dawson (whom Dawson Street is named after)
- Bought in 1715 by the City Corporation (now Dublin City Council)
- The first sitting of Dáil Éireann was held here in 1919 at which a ‘Declaration of Independence’ was read by Cathal Brugha
Dublin City Coat of Arms
The Dublin City Coat of Arms is the emblem that identifies Dublin and has been in use for more than 400 years. The Coat of Arms shows the following features:
- An image of 3 burning castles
- Two female figures each holding an olive branch
- The city motto, 'Obedientia Civium Urbis Felicitas'
The motto of Dublin City is in the Latin language and translates into English as 'The obedience of the citizens produces a happy city'.
Origin of the Coat of Arms
The origin of the Coat of Arms is unknown, but there are numerous theories. Three of these include:
- The castles are watch towers outside the city walls
- The castle is Dublin Castle and is repeated 3 times because of the mystical significance of the number 3
- The castles are not castles at all, but represent 3 gates into the ancient Viking city