The Mansion House Dublin celebrates 300 years

Printer-friendly version

In 2015, Dublin’s Mansion House celebrated 300 years as the official Mayoral residence.  The house was built by developer Joshua Dawson between 1705 and 1710 and is a rare surviving example of Queen Anne style architecture in Dublin.   On 29th April 1715, Dublin City Assembly decided to purchase the Mansion House from Joshua Dawson for a sum of £3,500.   

The Mansion House is the only mayoral residence in Ireland used for its original purpose, is the oldest Mayoral residence in Ireland and Britain and is the oldest free-standing house in Dublin.  It also was a venue for key meetings in the formation of the Irish State including the first Dáil meeting in the Round Room in 1919.
 

 

Feedback