The Mansion House
Residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin
The Mansion House is the official residence of Dublin’s first citizen, the Lord Mayor, and one of our cities finest and most loved buildings.
The Mansion House has been at the heart of city government since 1715. Construction started in 1705 and it was intended as a townhouse for Joshua Dawson, the developer of Dawson Street and Nassau Street. Joshua Dawson seldom lived in the house. Ten years later and still partly unfinished, it was sold to Dublin Corporation for £3,500 (€4,444), in addition to an annual rent of 40 shillings and an agreement to provide a loaf of double refined sugar, weighing six pounds at Christmas.
The Mansion House is remarkable for many reasons:
- It is the only mayoral residence in Ireland which is still used for its original purpose
- It is the oldest Mayoral residence in Ireland and in Britain (Dublin preceded London by 15 years in providing an official house for its mayor)
- It is the oldest free-standing house in Dublin
- The Round Room hosted the inaugural meeting of Dáil Eireann on 21st January 1919