Appendix 5: Data Protection
You have the right to obtain a copy of any information about you that is held by Dublin City Council. This information could be stored on a computer or in a manual filing system.
To obtain any information about you that is held by Dublin City Council, write to us at:
Dublin City Council
Data Protection Officer
Information Management Unit
Block 3, Floor 4,
Tel: 01 222 3775
e-mail: [email protected]
Your letter or email should state:
“I wish to make an access request under the General Data Protection Regulation for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form.”
Please include any details that could help us to locate your records. This might include:
- Customer account number
- Staff number
- Any other information that may help us to identify your records
Please be specific in relation to the information you are seeking.
Under the GDPR individuals can seek the following information in an access request: -
- the purposes of the processing;
- the categories of personal data concerned;
- the recipients or categories of recipient to whom the personal data have been or will be disclosed, in particular recipients in third countries or international organisations;
- where possible, the envisaged period for which the personal data will be stored, or, if not possible, the criteria used to determine that period;
- the existence of the right to request from the controller rectification or erasure of personal data or restriction of processing of personal data concerning the data subject or to object to such processing in certain circumstances;
- the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority;
- where the personal data is not collected from the data subject, any available information as to their source;
- the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling, and, at least in those cases, meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and the envisaged consequences of such processing for the data subject.
We operate best practice in relation to our responsibilities under the General Data Protection Regulation. This includes:
- obtain personal data fairly from the individual by giving them notice of the collection and its specific purpose;
- obtain personal data for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further process it in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes
- collect no more data than is necessary from an individual for the purpose for which it will be used;
- keep the data accurate and up to date
- retain the data for no longer than is necessary for that specified purpose;
- to keep data safe and secure; and
- provide an individual with a copy of his or her personal data if they request it.
Under the GDPR individuals have the significantly strengthened rights to:
- obtain details about how their data is processed by an organisation or business;
- obtain copies of personal data that an organisation holds on them;
- have incorrect or incomplete data corrected;
- have their data erased by an organisation in certain circumstances
- object to the processing of their data by an organisation in certain circumstances;
- not to be subject to (with some exceptions) automated decision making, including profiling.
For information on data protection, visit the website of the Data Protection Commission at www.dataprotection.ie
Right of Compliant to the Office of the Data Protection Commission
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the response you received from Dublin City Council in relation to your request, then you are entitled to make a complaint to the Data Protection Commission who may investigate the matter for you.
The Data Protection Commission website is www.dataprotection.ie or you can contact their Office at
Lo Call Number: 1890 252 231
E-mail: [email protected]
Postal Address: Data Protection Commissioner
Co. Laois. R32 AP23