Moving or Transferring your Council House

If you have been a tenant of Dublin City Council for 2 years, you can apply to move to other Council accommodation in Dublin City, subject to meeting certain criteria. (The 2 year tenancy rule doesn’t apply to older persons accommodation or priority cases)

You can also apply to transfer to a local authority house or voluntary housing association house in any other part of Ireland. Find out more about these transfers below.

Move to another council house in Dublin City

To move to another council house, follow these steps:

Step 1

Complete the application form.

Complete the following form and return it to us at the address below.

Download the Application to Move House form.

Or contact us at the address below to request a copy.

Step 2

We will review your application.

We will assess your application and determine if you qualify to move to other accommodation.

We will contact you to inform you of the status of your application.

Step 3

You are placed on the Transfer List.

If you are deemed eligible you will be placed on the ‘transfer list’.

Applicants may, sometimes, in serious medical or difficult living circumstances be considered on a priority basis and included on the list without points.

Step 4

We offer you a move.

When you are eligible for an offer in your area of choice and a suitable vacancy arises, we will contact you.

Move to a house in another part of Ireland

If you are a tenant of the City Council and you wish to move to local authority accommodation or voluntary housing association accommodation in any other part of Ireland, you need to make contact with a tenant who is also seeking to swap. You will need permission from the Council before making a swap.

Details of such tenants can often be found on the notice boards in your Local Area Office and in local newspapers.

  • There are currently 6,400 tenants on our transfer list
  • In 2016, we let 2,050 properties in total and 450 were housed from the transfer list

For more information:

Housing Allocations and Transfer Section

Phone: 01 222 2201