Get Creative in our new Recording Studios!
Published on 19th January 2024
Get ready to be creative in the wonderful new recording studios located in Ballyfermot Library and soon to be available for library patron use! Aspiring musicians, podcasters, film makers, broadcasters even, take note, our Creative Studio is about to excite and delight!
What is the Creative Studio?
It is a digital maker space facilitating the creation of music recordings, podcasts, videos, digital stories and oral histories. And more besides. At the centre of this space are two recording booths providing library patrons with access to a variety of audio and video recording equipment and software.
What can I do in the Creative Studio?
So much! For example,
- Record a music track, a song, create a demo.
- Get some band practice in.
- Deliver a Facebook Live event, be it a live music performance, an interview with a local celebrity, artist, historian, or even a poetry reading.
- Record an audio or video podcast, could be an interview, a lecture, a group discussion.
- Record a video and upload to Youtube.
What can I do now?
Interested in using this wonderful new facility? You must first fill out the Creative Studio - Request to Use Facilities Form. We will then be in touch in due course to notify you of your scheduled induction session. You must complete the induction session and sign the Agreement Form in order to be able to book a session in one of the studios.
Creative Studio #1: 3150mm (10'4") x 2250mm (7'5") Capacity 1-6 people
Creative Studio #2: 4950mm (16'4") x 3150mm (10'4") Capacity 2-8 people
Above: The smaller of the two recording booths, Studio #1.
The mix of equipment for each includes some or all of the following:-
- Microphones (stand, table mounted) with pop filter shock mounts
- Studio headphones
- Behringer AMP800 Mini Amp 4 Channel Stereo Headphone Distributor Amplifier
- Studio monitors (speakers)
- 4 channel or 8 channel Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. Ideal for multi-instrumentalists, producers and small bands who want to record audio from a wide range of sources such as drums, guitars, keyboards and vocals.
- Cinema Camera 4K + tripod
- Logitech C615 HD 1080p webcam
- LED lighting
- Green screen
- iMac computers, 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display.
Software included - Final Cut X video editing software, Logic Pro X music making software, GarageBand, Audacity.
A booking of a recording booth may be made by patrons aged 15 years and older with a valid public library card from any library authority in the country. Any person wishing to make a booking must have completed the mandatory induction session in advance and signed an Agreement Form.
Right: The larger of the two studios. View larger image.
The minimum session length is 50 minutes; the maximum 2 hours and 50 minutes. Musicians, important to note, you will need to bring your own musical instruments.
Please take note also - while basic assistance may be provided, the studios are essentially self-service. You will need some level of familiarity with recording equipment, iMac computers and the software provided. We will provide you with some help files and links to further resources.
Read the full Terms and Conditions...
Attendance at an induction session is required in advance for anyone wishing to book a recording studio. The session provides an overview of the recording studio equipment and usage procedures. Upon completion of the session participants will be required to sign the agreement form in order to be added to the list of those authorized to make a booking on behalf of themselves or a group.
Visit the Creative Studio main page for more information.