The Dublin City Library and Archive holds a beautiful image of the old Weaver’s Hall on The Coombe Dublin, a building still fondly remembered by older citizens in the area. The image shows a dignified guild hall, with a statue of King George II by Van Nost holding shuttles and other implements used in the weaving process set in an alcove above the main entrance. Although the Weaver’s Hall is long gone, there is still a lot of evidence of this once major industry that existed in this area over a 1,000 year timespan. The most obvious are various placenames. Weaver’s Square off Cork Street, and the adjacent Ormond Street commemorated both the Huguenot weavers who settled here in great numbers from the late 1600’s and the man who invited them over, the Duke of Ormond. Nearby Newmarket was constructed in the 1670’s by the Earl of Meath in response to this rapidly growing industry, to facilitate trade in wool, hides and flax and also the finished products. The Earl also included space for his own market, and this added to the unique shape and layout of Newmarket, still with us today.Above: Illustration showing statue of George II in niche on first floor facade.Earlier evidence of weaving has also been found in recent archaeological excavations prior to new developments in The Liberties. Items from the Hiberno-Norse era, such as whorls, spindles, weights and bone needles have been found, together with evidence of a thriving cap and scarf/shawl industry in both wool and dyed, watered silk - an indication of ‘high status’ - being found.Above: Framed painting of Weaver's House in the Liberties by Rose Barton.The imposition of tariffs and taxes on the Dublin weavers eventually caused the slow decline of this tradition, but not before it re-invented itself into other related industries. The manufacture of poplin gave way to a significant upholstery industry, providing seating, padding and also lace for carriages, the mode of transport at the time. Later, with the coming of the motor-car, a thriving industry arose specialising in ladies and gents motor scarfs and mufflers. Frys of Cork Street also announced that it was possible to get the latest in bow-ties to finish the ensemble!Above: Horse-drawn Omnibus, Westmoreland Street, Dublin (circa 1865). Courtesy: National Library of Ireland (Original)Today, there is a renewed interest in this oldest of trades, with the Botany Weavers – the one remaining company near Dolphin’s Barn who operate from premises that once housed the City Woollen Mills and who are key suppliers to Aer Lingus and City Jet, recently announcing an expansion to its business, thus continuing a tradition of 1000 years of weaving in this area.Blog post by: Cathy Scuffil, Historian in Residence,Dublin South Central.
Last May, I was delighted to attend the Dublin launch of a book entitled 'Essays by an Irish Rebel: revolution, politics and culture' by Liam Ó Briain. A very enjoyable read, the book features twenty-five essays by the Dublin academic and revolutionary Liam Ó Briain (1888-1974), all of which were published in Irish from 1934 to 1968, as well as three appreciations of the author.All have now been edited and translated into English by Eoin Ó Dochartaigh, a retired doctor from Galway who graduated from University College Galway (now NUI Galway) and knew Ó Briain as a family friend.Above: Eoin Ó Dochartaigh speaking at the launch of his edited book 'Essays by an Irish Rebel: revolution, politics and culture', at the Mansion House in May 2019.The launch inspired me to read 'Insurrection Memories 1916', a complimentary volume described by historian Owen Dudley-Edwards as ‘a rich memory of a great man’. This personal account of the Easter Rising was first published in Irish in 1951 as 'Cuimhní Cinn'. In 2014 Fran O’Brien, the author’s grand-niece, translated the work into English and published it as a bilingual volume. Two years later, to mark the centenary of the Easter Rising, Ó Dochartaigh then brought out a new translation. Like 'Essays by an Irish Rebel', this was published by Ardcrú Books in Galway.Above: Undated postcard showing the entrance to St. Stephen's Green Park. Courtesy of Dublin City Library & Archive. [PCV04-90] Access over 40,000 images and postcards in the Dublin City Libraries and Archive Digital Repositary .'Insurrection Memories 1916' is an intimate account of what Liam Ó Briain observed while participating in the Easter Rising. The book begins in 1914, with Ó Briain returning to Ireland after spending three years studying on the continent (mostly Germany). Joining the Irish Volunteers, Ó Briain also became a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood the following year and went on to take part in the Easter Rising. As a member of F. Company of the First Battalion of the Volunteers, Ó Briain had been scheduled to join the Four Courts garrison under the command of Ned Daly. However, after getting waylaid carrying out messages for Eoin MacNeill on the morning of Easter Monday, he found himself instead spontaneously joining the Stephen’s Green garrison with his friend Harry Nicholls.During the Rising Ó Briain impressed Captain Bob de Couer of the Irish Citizen Army enough to be promoted to the rank of Corporal. Afterwards he was among those imprisoned in Wandsworth Common prison in London until late June, and Frongoch Camp in North Wales until Christmas 1916 (which he later described as ‘the best university’ he ever attended). Ó Briain stood as a Sinn Fein candidate in Armagh during the 1918 General Election and was imprisoned in Galway during the War of Independence. A native of Dublin, he would go on to serve as Professor of Romance Languages at University College Galway from 1918 to 1959.Above: Photograph of the College of Surgeons taken after the Easter Rising to show 'where Countess Markievicz surrendered'. Courtesy of Dublin City Library & Archive. [BOR F34-18]Blog Post by: Dr. James Curry, Historian in Residence, North West Area.
Anne Kennedy was a notable poet, writer, and photographer. She was born Anne Spaulding on 19 March 1935 in Los Angeles, California to Beatrice Clarke and Easton Spaulding. She attended the prestigious Marlborough School in Beverley Hills as Anne Hoag after her mother’s marriage to her second husband, Hallack Hoag. At age 16, Anne went to study English at Stanford University. In 1955, she married Donald Nealy, with whom she had two daughters, Allison (1956) and Catherine (1957). After her divorce from her first husband, Anne returned to Los Angeles where she met her second husband, Lewis Judd. They married in upstate New York in 1961 and had a daughter, Stephanie, in 1963, by which time they had moved back to Los Angeles. During the 1960s, Anne worked as a high school teacher and lived in the Laurel Canyon area of Los Angeles. As a lifelong lover of jazz, together with her close friend and jazz trumpeter Rex Stewart, she interviewed many jazz musicians living in the L.A. area during this time. The oral material they gathered was contributed to the Duke Ellington archive at the Smithsonian Museum of American History, Washington, D.C. in 1993.View Anne Kennedy Photographic Collection Image Gallery.In the early 1970s, Anne moved to Orcas Island, the largest of the San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest with her then partner, Mark P. J. Kennedy. Anne and Mark had a daughter, Maura, in 1973 and a son, Miles, in 1974, during which year they were married. She also gained two step daughters, Deirdre (1957) and Serena (1968) Kennedy, through her third marriage. Her first book, Buck Mountain Poems (Salmon Poetry, 1989), was a poetic study of her experiences living on Orcas Island. The book was illustrated by her daughter Allison.In 1977, Kennedy and her family moved to Salthill in Galway, the birthplace of her husband, Mark. She began to take an interest in photography after taking a night class in 1982. She would often take photographs of the people, establishments, and buildings of the west of Ireland. She found the traditional culture of Ireland to be fascinating, as it was vastly different from the culture she grew up with back in the United States. Her continued interest in literature inspired her to create three photographic series in the years between 1982 and 1984: Irish Proverbs; Molly Bloom; and Finnegans Wake. Kennedy got the Irish proverbs she used for these collections from her daughter Maura’s third class teacher, Sr Donatus, who was a native Irish speaker from the Donegal Gaeltacht. The Finnegans Wake series was exhibited in Kenny’s Art Gallery in Galway and in Manhattan College in New York City.Kennedy joined the Galway Writers’ Workshop in 1985, where she encountered many prominent Galway writers including Rita Ann Higgins, Moya Cannon, Joan McBreen, and Eva Bourke, among many others. Kennedy’s work was published in a wide variety of journals in Ireland, including The Salmon, The Honest Ulsterman, and Fortnight. She was also published in American journals, including Southern Humanities Review and Free Lunch. Her second book of poetry, The Dog Kubla Dreams My Life (Salmon Poetry, 1994) reflects on her experiences in both America and Ireland. R.T. Smith, award winning American poet, fiction writer, and editor, had this to say about the book:"The quietly dazzling poems of The Dog Kubla Dreams My Life result from scruple, craft and a compassionate vision of the human predicament across decades and on both sides of the Atlantic, as Anne Kennedy continues to compose that rare species of poems that cannot be written quickly but must be lived image by image, and which comprise a powerful witnessing to sorrow and sanctuary. Her words shimmer with an excitement at once beautiful and wise, and which I believe will be with us for a long time."Kennedy was also a regular contributor to RTE Radio 1’s Sunday Miscellany, an Irish program that has regularly featured essays, poetry, appreciations, and travel writing since 1968. She also taught creative writing in the 1990s in the Galway Arts Centre. There, she helped to encourage many contemporary west of Ireland poets, including Tom French and Sarah Clancy. She also won the Cuirt International Poetry Festival Prize in 1988. Kennedy died on 29 September 1998 and is buried at Rahoon Old Cemetery in Galway.The photographs in this collection were taken by Anne Kennedy in the 1980s and 1990s. They often feature “characters” from the western counties of Ireland—unique individuals who caught Kennedy’s interest. Kennedy was fascinated by traditional Irish culture and as such would often take photographs of the traditional shops, trades, and performers she encountered across Ireland.About the Anne Kennedy Photographic CollectionThe collection also features material pertaining to notable people, events, and locations in Irish history, culture, and literature. It contains photos of prominent Irish writer and poet Rita Ann Higgins and the opening night of her play, Face Licker Come Home, which premiered in 1991 at the Punchbag Theatre in Galway City. The collection also includes several photos of Eugene Lambe, a well-known traditional Irish musician and instrument maker, at his Fanore Schoolhouse workshop in Co. Clare. Many photographs of Rahoon Flats (1972-1998), a large and notorious Galway public housing apartment complex, are also featured in the collection. Photographs of the work and home of sculptor John Behan, best known for his works Famine Ship (1996) and the Flight of the Earls Monument (2007), are also included in the collection. An image of protestors regarding the 1980-1981 Hunger Strikes is also featured in the collection.Also included in the collection are photographs of Tigh Neachtain Bar; Kenny’s Bookshop and Art Gallery; Corcomroe Abbey; the Galway Early Music Festival; the Fishery Watchtower Museum; and buildings and people from Co. Galway, Co. Dublin, Co. Clare, and Co. Mayo.The photographs in this collection were provided to the Dublin City Library and Archive by Anne Kennedy’s children, who we thank greatly for their time, knowledge, and generosity.This gallery was created by Alicia Rosenthal, who interned with the Dublin City Library and Archive in the summer of 2017 through EUSA. Alicia is an undergraduate student at Boston University studying English and History. She hopes to go on to get her Masters in archival preservation or to pursue a Ph.D. in literature. She would like to give her thanks to Dr. Enda Leaney for all of his support and guidance and for allowing her the opportunity to intern with the Dublin City Library and Archive.We apologize for any errors regarding the information in this collection. Corrections will be made as we are made aware of them.View more photos from the collections of Dublin City Library and Archive at digital.libraries.dublincity.ie/vital
This photo gallery tells the history of social housing in Inchicore which is a suburb of Dublin, 5km west of the city centre. It traces the history of the area from tenements and one of Dublin Corporation’s first social housing schemes to the conversion of Richmond Barracks to Keogh Square then St Michael’s Estate and beyond. It challenges some of the negative perceptions about Keogh Square and St Michael’s Estate and hopes to encourage former residents to share their memories. Although Keogh Square and St Michael’s Estate dominate the narrative, they are not the only social housing in Inchicore so this gallery also includes Tyrone Place, Bulfin Court, Emmet Crescent and Thornton Heights.View History of Social Housing in Inchicore Image Gallery.It is important to contextualise these local developments with Dublin Corporation’s social housing policy. Richmond Barracks was converted to social housing in the 1920s in response to Dublin’s notorious tenement slums in the inner city which were overcrowded and unsanitary. From the mid-1940s onwards, Dublin Corporation made a concerted effort to transfer families to new houses in the suburbs. Tenant purchase of social housing was also included in the 1948, 1954 and 1956 Housing Acts. The collapse of two Dublin tenements in 1963 which involved fatalities resulted in the Corporation’s largest complex of high-rise flats in Ballymun. This is because rehousing families in the remaining tenements was urgent and high-rise flats could be built quickly. Dublin Corporation’s experimentation with high-rise living did not last long although it included the construction of St Michael’s Estate after Keogh Square was demolished in the late 1960s. The long-term policy of selling social housing to tenants continued with the Corporation’s introduction of surrender grants in 1978 which helped tenants buy their own homes. This increased the proportion of homeowners in Ireland. By the 1980s, suburbanisation meant that the centre of Dublin was neglected and underdeveloped which resulted in various plans for its renewal. This included an estate-based approach to regeneration which was dominated by Public Private Partnerships in the 2000s although many of these collapsed due to the global credit crisis. While regeneration is often interpreted as just the physical transformation of an area, residents and community groups argue that it should also include social regeneration.This gallery was created by Lauren Massey, who carried out an internship at the Dublin City Library and Archive in 2017 while completing an M.Phil in Public History and Cultural Heritage in Trinity College, Dublin. Lauren is a history graduate of King’s College, Cambridge University. After finishing her studies in Dublin, Lauren will return to the northwest of England where she hopes to work in the heritage sector. Lauren would like to thank Enda Leaney of Dublin City Public Libraries & Archive for his assistance and advice. She would also like to dedicate this gallery to the grassroots heroes of Keogh Square, St Michael’s Estate and Richmond Barracks.Further ReadingBarry, Aoife. “President Higgins Opens New Housing Scheme Named After 1916 Rebel Female Doctor,” The Journal, September 9, 2014.Brady, Joseph. Dublin, 1950-1970: Houses, Flats and High-Rise.Bissett, John. Regeneration: Public Good or Private Profit?Edwards, Elaine. “100 Years On, Richmond Barracks Becomes Permanent Reminder of Rising,” The Irish Times, May 2, 2016.“Minister Humphreys announces plans for renovation of Richmond Barracks, Dublin,” The Decade of Centenaries, October 2, 2014.McGrath, Louisa. “In Inchicore, the Rebirth of Richmond Barracks,” Dublin Inquirer, March 16, 2016.Ó Broin, Seosamh. Inchicore, Kilmainham and District.O'Halloran, Marie. “Non-denominational Goldenbridge Cemetery Formally Reopened,” The Irish Times, May 14, 2017.O’Meara, Liam. From Richmond Barracks to Keogh Square.O’Meara, Liam. Who Remembers Keogh Square?
All-Ireland Days: The Pursuit of Liam and Sam (1953-1984)
Summer comes around, the ground hardens, and the thoughts of many people turn to the playing fields of Clones, Thurles, Castlebar, and other venues throughout the land. All dream of a visit to Croke Park in September. These photos from the Fáilte Ireland Tourism Photographic Collection celebrate the lucky few who played in All-Ireland Finals in the second half of the twentieth century.View All-Ireland Days Image Gallery.The photographs depict an Ireland that is at once familiar yet distant. Hurlers wearing flat caps instead of helmets. Footballers in pre-match parades wearing jerseys that have seen better days. Bishops throwing in footballs and sliothars. Stands that are bursting with supporters. The photos include giants of both codes including Christy Ring, Mick O'Connell, Jimmy Doyle, Kevin Heffernan, Jimmy Barry Murphy, Eddie Keher and countless others. This gallery captures the hope and expectation, the fury of the contest, and the fact that for most of these men, their lives would often, fairly or unfairly, be defined by their actions on Croke Park's sod on a Sunday afternoon. It salutes the senior and minor players, the young and old supporters, the winners and the losers. The contest is all.
Dining in Dublin: 150 Years of Eating Out in Ireland’s Capital
What’s it like to eat in Dublin? As this image gallery shows, Dublin boasts a rich and varied food history that includes everything from haute cuisine to kosher pickles to a “Wan an’ Wan” by the Liffey. Some of the Dublin eateries in these pictures came in and out of existence within just a few years, making their stories harder to trace. Others evolved into cultural institutions, famous not only for their food but for their contribution to the vibrancy of Dublin life. All have enriched the flavour of the city on the Liffey.View the Dining in Dublin Image Gallery‘As down by Anna Liffey,My love and I did stray.Where in the good old Liffey mudThe sea-gulls sport and playWe caught the whiff of ray and chipsAnd Mary softly sighed,‘Oh! John, come on for a Wan an’ WanDown by the Liffey side.’-‘Fish and Chips,’ by Peadar Kearney (1883-1942)Let’s start our food journey in the late nineteenth century. Although restaurants were not yet a common fixture in Dublin, a hungry wanderer could still enjoy a snack in the Dublin Bread Company’s (DBC) distinctive building on O’Connell Street, or perhaps a beverage—although not an alcoholic one—at the Dublin Coffee Palace on Townsend Street, an institution owned and operated by the Total Abstinence Society. During the events of 1916, however, not all of these eateries escaped unscathed. Indeed, after catching fire, the DBC never re-opened.Although eating out remained unusual until after the Second World War, Dubliners did partake in food trends. The 1907 Irish International Exhibition—a grand event that housed multiple restaurants—featured a Vegetarian Café, where the ‘Vegetarian Club’ held meetings. Vegetarianism seems to have come into vogue in early-twentieth-century Dublin: in 1929, for example, the Irish Times offered a recipe for vegetarian pie that featured a pound of potatoes, a pound of tomatoes, a large onion, and “good short pastry.” During the war, such vegetarian dishes offered a practical solution for the problem of food shortages.After rationing ended and the difficult 1950s passed, dining out became more popular. Restaurant Jammet on Nassau Street and the Russell Restaurant on St. Stephen’s Green South became known for serving the finest French cuisine, making Dublin into what chef Mairtin Mac Con Iomaire has called the “gastronomic capital of the British Isles.” At the same time, eateries like the Colburn Café catered to the working class and advertised hearty fare such as “a cup of coffee with eggs, bacon, sausage, [and] mashed potatoes.” From the fancy to the fried, restaurant food was becoming a regular staple of the Dubliner diet.This diet included diverse flavours. The Clanbrassil Street area, for example, boasted kosher delicatessens that fed a vibrant local Jewish community during the mid-twentieth century. As Michael Kennedy has revealed, by the 1960s Dublin also supported a variety of Indian restaurants, such as the Taj Mahal on Lincoln Place, which became a popular Dublin fixture known for serving extremely spicy curries. Chinese restaurants also grew more common as Dubliner taste buds became accustomed to increasingly diverse menus.By the 1980s, American fast food had joined Dublin’s already extensive repertoire of food choices. McDonald’s and Captain America’s—both still located on Grafton Street—became popular spots. At the same time, old favourites like Bewley’s Oriental Café continued to delight customers. Today, as Mairtin Mac Con Iomaire writes, “the evolving future of Dublin restaurants appears promising,” with a revived haute cuisine scene and an ever-growing diversity of restaurants. But Dubliners can still enjoy a “Wan an’ Wan” by the Liffey. This gallery was created by Alissa Cartwright, who carried out an internship at the Dublin City Library and Archive in 2017 while completing at M.Phil in Public History and Cultural heritage in Trinity College, Dublin. Alissa is a graduate of the University of Victoria on Vancouver Island in Canada, where she obtained a B.A. (Hons) in History with a minor in English. She hopes to complete a Ph.D. in history in Canada or the United States after finishing her degree at Trinity. Alissa would like to acknowledge her thanks to Enda Leaney of Dublin City Public Libraries & Archive for his assistance and advice.Further Reading“1970s Ireland: When Old Ideas Met New Affluence,” The Irish Times, 27 October, 2012.“Best Bash for a Thousand Years,” The Irish Times, 11 July, 1988.“Dublin Bread Company Restaurant.” Irish Architectural Archive.“Dublin’s First Chinese Restaurants: 1956-mid 1960s.” Come Here to Me! Dublin Life & Culture, 25 July, 2012.“Café was rebels’ sniper and observation post,” Herald.ie, 10 March, 2016.“Coffee Palace Bazaar,” The Irish Times, 26 June, 1875.Harris, Nick. Dublin’s Little Jerusalem. Dublin: A.A. Farmar, 2002.Iomaire, Mairtin Mac Con. “Food as ‘Motif’ in the Irish Song Tradition.” Dublin Institute of Technology.Iomaire, Mairtin Mac Con. “The Changing Geography and Fortunes of Dublin’s Haute Cuisine Restaurants, 1958-2008.” Food, Culture, and Society 14, no. 4 (525-545).“Irish International Exhibition: A View of the Grounds,” The Irish Times, 6 April, 1907.Kennedy, Michael. “Where’s the Taj Mahal?” History Ireland July/August 2010, 50-52.“Take Interest in Vegetables,” The Irish Times, 5 May, 1945.“Vegetarian Pie,” The Irish Times, 13 May, 1929.“Vegetarian Fridays,” The Irish Times, 17 February, 1940.Access Irish Newspaper archives with your library membership: Irish Newspaper Archives, Irish Times Digital Archive, ProQuest Newspaper Search. History Ireland is available at the Reading Room, Dublin City Library and Archive and many of our branch libraries, see Newspapers, Magazines and Journals.Search and browse the Libraries and Archive Digital Repository. Highlights include the Fáilte Ireland Photographic Collection, Dublin City Council Photographic Collection, the Irish Theatre Archive.
Jimmy Davenport (pictured here on the left in the unpeaked army hat) was a member of the orchestra and occasional performer at the Capitol and Theatre Royal theatres in Dublin in the 1930s and 40s.These venues are long gone but the white marble staircase of the Frank Matcham designed Theatre Royal survives as the centrepiece stairway in Marks and Spencer on Grafton Street.Judging by his autographed photo album which has just been digitised, Jimmy Davenport was a bit of a showbiz addict. He collected over a hundred signed portraits of visiting celebrities and photos of some set pieces from the Theatre Royal.The 3 Stooges, Jimmy Durante, (pictured above) George Formby and Gracie Fields are some of the stars who appear. There’s a young, luminous Elizabeth Welch famous for her renditions of 'Love for Sale' and 'Stormy Weather'. Matinee idol, Ramón Novarro, one time successor to Rudolph Valentino, smoulders in his signed portrait, complete with pencil moustache. He may have been most celebrated for his scantily clad depiction of Ben Hur (1925).Elizabeth Welch and Ramón NovarroWhen Hollywood gigs were thin on the ground, American stars toured the theatres of Europe. Billy Costello pops up. His baby face is an unlikely front for the grizzled tones of Popeye the Sailor for whom he supplied the original voice. He was let go after 24 films by the Max Fleischer animation company, allegedly for “bad behaviour”. Perhaps he cleaned them out of spinach.Remarkable pictures abound of acrobatic troupes, women armed with accordions and singing cowboys. A plaintive looking French mime artist hovers at the edge of a stark, bare stage in sepia tones. The inscription reads “Bien sincerement, Jimmy…” and then an indecipherable scrawl.Jimmy Davenport himself is here. He appeared in a ‘miniature tattoo’, a recruiting show (1940) that featured 200 soldiers, called ‘Roll the Drum’. It broke Dublin box office records. He is photographed in soldier’s uniform with some cohorts on the roof of the Theatre Royal.A small Polaroid type shot of Jack Doyle – ‘The Gorgeous Gael’ and Movita, the actress who became his second wife is also signed. He was a champion heavyweight boxer who doubled up as a singer. They were married round the corner from Pearse Street Library in St. Andrew’s Church, Westland Row in the midst of their Irish Tour of the 1940s. Their marriage didn’t last. Movita subsequently married Marlon Brando.There are pictures from pantomimes and of ‘Old Mother Riley’ & and her ‘daughter’, Kitty. Mother Riley, played by Arthur Lucan in drag, and Kitty McShane were a very successful comedy duo and a sort of precursor to the current day phenomenon of Brendan O’Carroll’s Mrs. Brown.There’s a shot taken in 1948. The dancing girls - the Royalettes - are lined up in what looks like a small circus arena with 3 ponies at the centre. The band is up on high behind them. It’s hard to see if Jimmy Davenport is in there, the musicians’ figures are too small to register their faces. There was no pantomime that year and the Variety business was changing. In the following decade rock and roll and television would have a dramatic impact on the world of entertainment and music theatres would struggle. The last Theatre Royal was demolished in 1962.About Guest BloggerI’m Róisín Sheerin, I’ve been doing work experience at Dublin City Library & Archive, Pearse Street as part of my National Print Museum Cultural & Heritage Course and dipping into Jimmy Davenport’s album has been a revelation to me.In the course of digitising these photos for the archives, I started to research some of the stars and acts. Philip B. Ryan’s book ‘The Lost Theatres of Dublin’ and Thomas Myler’s ‘Showtime at the Royal’ proved to be of enormous help.Walking around the Hawkins St area in recent days where the Theatre Royal once stood and which is now more famous for being the location of Apollo House, it’s been extraordinary to have this background knowledge and to have caught a glimpse of that vanished world.
Traffic jams during the 1974 CIE Bus Strikes, Croagh Patrick Pilgrimages (1958), and jubilant Heffo’s army supporters are among 43,000 historic photographs and documents which are being made freely available online by Dublin City Council today. These formerly unseen images date as early as 1757 and include photographs, postcards, letters, maps and historical memorabilia.Highlights of the collection, which can be found at digital.libraries.dublincity.ie, include the Fáilte Ireland Photographic Collection with images of people, places and tourist locations all across Ireland from the 1930s, the Irish Theatre Archive Photographic Collection, and Dublin City Council Photographic Collection. Much of the material provides photographic evidence of Dublin's ever-changing streetscapes and buildings, as well as significant social, cultural, sporting, and political events in the City. Events as diverse as the Eucharistic Congress (1932), bonny baby competitions in the North Inner City, and the Dublin Football Team of the 1970s all feature, along with sombre Dublin streets in the aftermath of tragedies such as the 1941 North Strand and the 1974 Bombings.Two collections which are hugely significant in this Decade of Commemoration also are accessible on the Digital Repository. The Birth of the Republic Collection, which comprises material from the period of the foundation of the Irish State and archives of Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association which relate to Irishmen in World War 1. More material relating to 1912-1922 period will be added over the coming months and years, including the unique Jacobs Biscuit Factory Archive.Left: Traffic jam in Fairview during the 1974 Bus Strike. (click image to view original)Margaret Hayes, City Librarian, says:"This new online service will provide people in Dublin and throughout the world with free and easy access to the rich collections of Dublin City Libraries and Archives. Indeed, we look forward to the public helping us by providing additional information on the people and places featured."Members of the public are invited to #explorehistory and enjoy this new resource free of charge, and the Digital Repository will be invaluable to local history and heritage groups, researchers and schools.Right: Despite defeat, there was a huge turn-out on the streets of Dublin for the defeated 1978 All-Ireland finalists. (click image to view original)The collection is divided into two separate 'communities', the 'Dublin City Archives Community' and the 'Dublin City Libraries Special Collections Community', each in turn which comprises various collections and, in some instances, sub-collections. See below for more on the separate communities.To uncover information on collections not yet digitized, explore www.dublincityarchives.ie and the Dublin and Irish Collections, or visit us in the Reading Room.Dublin City Archives CommunityDublin City Archives was founded in 1981. It holds the records of Dublin City Council and its predecessor bodies dating back to 1171, alongside the records of the Dublin City Archaelogical Archive, Irish Theatre Archive, Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association, Dublin City Sports Archive, and other private paper collections relating to Dublin City. The Digital Repository includes photographs and documents from these collections, which have been digitised and born-digital archives.Top-level Collections:Dublin City Archaelogical Archive - Records arising from archaeological investigations conducted in Dublin CityDublin City Assembly - Records relating to the civic government of Dublin from 1171-1840Dublin City Council (DCC) Collections - Records relating to activities of Dublin City Council from 1840-present dayDublin City Sports Archive - Dublin City Sports Archive collects photographs, documents and other records from local sports clubs, organisations, and sporting individuals which reflect Dublin's rich sporting heritage. Sports featured include hockey, golf, soccer.Dublin Civic Musuem - Photographs of the objects, artefacts and documents contained within the Dublin Civic Museum CollectionIrish Theatre Archive - The Irish Theatre Archive, contains collections deposited by theatres, theatre companies, individual actors, directors, costume and set designers, as well as theatre critics and fans. Collections can include theatre programs, handbills, posters, newspaper.Parliamentary Commissions - Records relating to Parliamentary Commissions established in Dublin.Private Collections - Private collections donated by individuals, organisations, businesses, voluntary groups which relate to Dublin City.Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association Archive - The Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association was established in 1996 to commemorate all Irish men and women who volunteered, served and died in the First World War 1914-1918 and earlier conflicts such as Boer War. The RDFA Archive is managed by Dublin City Archives.Size of the Dublin City Archives Community as of the 24th January 2017: 10,789 objectsDublin City Libraries Special Collections CommunityCollections:Birth of the Republic Collection - This collection is made up of Irish political ephemera and covers the period 1864 – 1942.Dixon Slides Collection - The original slides in this collection were donated to Dublin City Libraries by the photographer, Frederick E. Dixon. The photographs were taken in the 1960s and 1970s, and include book illustrations, postcards, advertisements and older photos of events around Dublin. The main focuses of the collection are Dublin city and its buildings.Dublin City Council Photographic Collection - This collection is an amalgam of photographs taken by City Council employees in the course of their work, including everything from civic events to street-cleaning. The bulk of the material dates from the 1980s and 1990s.Fáilte Ireland Tourism Photographic Collection - This collection contains photographs of places and people from all over Ireland, in particular well-known tourist sites. The photographs in this collection were created by the Irish Tourist authority, and donated to Dublin City Library and Archive. It includes material dating from as far back as the 1930s to almost up to the present day.Postcards and Views - This collection is made up of postcards from Dublin City Libraries' collection. The main emphasis is on postcards of Dublin from the 19th and early 20th century.The Lepracaun Cartoon Collection - Thomas Fitzpatrick's humorous publication The Lepracaun ran from 1905 to 1915. It provides a fascinating insight into the political and social issues of the time.Size of Dublin City Libraries Special Collections as of the 24th January 2017: 32,161 objects Copyright/UsageContent is being made available for the purposes of research and education and as an alternative to directly accessing the analogue originals. Please review our terms & conditions of use.Have a question regarding the Repository?Access http://digital.libraries.dublincity.ie/
Kildare is a county that is steeped in rich culture from the horse racing fields of the Curragh to the beautiful canals that flow through villages and towns like Sallins and Athy. The Grand Canal is an ideal place for activities like angling, boating, canoeing, sailing and rowing, the banks of the canal are very popular for walking and cycling. There are many former churches and castles dotted around Kildare that add to the scenery of this fine Irish county.St Patrick’s College Maynooth (below, click image to view larger version) was founded in 1795 as a seminary for the education of priests and by 1850 had become the largest seminary in the world. The Bishops began to look for a site and it was desirable that the college be near Dublin. This seminary was urgently needed because in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries it had not been possible to educate Catholic priests in Ireland. The chapel, built by public subscription, was initiated by Charles W. Russell, President from 1857 to 1880. St Patrick’s College also has a university as part of the campus. Thousands of students from the four corners of Ireland and abroad attend the university each year.Naas Courthouse (below, click image to view larger version) was constructed in 1807 to a design by Architect Richard Morrison, it was extended in 1860 when the four columned portico was positioned as it is today. The Naas Courthouse was the original meeting place of the Poor Law Guardians who held their monthly meetings as did their successors Kildare County Council, from 1899 until the building was badly damaged by fire in the 1950s, which caused them to move to St. Mary’s. The Criminal Courtroom was the setting for many films, due to its remarkable resemblance to the Old Bailey in London.Theobald Wolfe Tone one of the leaders of the 1798 Rebellion, was a leading figure in the United Irishmen Irish Independence movement and is regarded as the father of Irish Republicanism. After his death he was buried at Bodenstown, Kildare in 1798 near to Sallins where his family had a farm (below, click image to view larger version).The Japanese Gardens (below, click image to view larger version) were devised by Colonel William Hall Walker, a wealthy Scotsman from a famous brewing family, the gardens were laid out by Japanese master horticulturist Tassa Eida and his son Minoru. Their aim was, through trees, plants, flowers, lawns, rocks and water, to symbolise the ‘Life of Man’. That plan was completed to perfection and Eida’s legacy is now admired by the 150,000 visitors who soak up the peace of the gardens every year.In conclusion Kildare is a great place for either a short visit or holiday and Kildare also has a good transport network. From my work scanning the photographs I noticed that bicycle and horse and cart were popular forms of transport in the 1950s. Click images below to see larger versions. . The Fáilte Ireland Tourism Photographic Collection was donated to Dublin City Library and Archive. The black and white negatives and colour slides date from the 1930s until the 2000s, they give a significant amount of visual information about Kildare throughout the decades.About our Guest BloggerThis blog post was submitted by Deirdre Coleman while on work experience in Dublin City Library and Archive, October 2016.
Did you know that W.B. Yeats was born in Dublin?That his family were resident in Howth and Terenure during his teenage years?That he lived for substantial periods of his life in Merrion and Fitzwilliam Squares?That his family and many of his closest friends were staunch Dubliners?That his final home was in Rathfarnham?View Yeats and Dublin: its People and Places image galleryThe connection between the poet and the city is often underestimated, partly because of Yeats's own close identification with the west of Ireland. But the people and places of the capital played an important part in his development as a poet and as a person, not just during his formative years, but throughout his life.Further ResourcesIn addition to these photographs, Dublin City Public Libraries also include further sources on the social and cultural history of Dublin, some of which are available online and some through the Dublin City Public Libraries network.The Reading Room, Dublin City Library and Archive, Pearse Street holds a wealth of material on the history of Dublin, including books, pamphlets, journals, street directories, and almanacs.The following online resources can be accessed free of charge at your local library (access links via our NetVibes portal). Ask library staff for information and assistance.Libraries and Archives Digital Repository: Digital records relating to Dublin, including photographs, postcards, letters, maps and ephemeral material. Highlights of the collection include the Fáilte Ireland Photographic Collection, Wide Street Commission Map Collection (1757-1851), the Irish Theatre Archive and the Birth of the Republic Collection, which comprises material from the period of the foundation of the Irish state.Irish Times Digital Archive: This online archive service gives access to contemporary editions of the Irish Times from the mid-nineteenth century until the present.Irish Newspaper Archive: This online archive service gives access to contemporary editions of the Irish Independent and a range of other newspapers.The Ireland-JSTOR Collection: This online archive of academic articles can also be accessed free of charge at your local library.For further reading, consult the Library Catalogue.